TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Angled v straight Paint Brushes

(happy Painter) #1

You either love angled paint brushes or you don’t…well I knew they were very popular in America…so I spent the last few months getting used to them…

they seem to make sense, more natural angle, easier to cut in, good for panelled doors etc… However after a mega test of paint brushes, the angled brushes left some brush marks… ( on wood trim) How ?

Well if you don’t concentrate and keep the correct angle, one side or the other digs in more to trim, leaving marks…so I am going back to flat.

( I don’t think it’s a problem with cutting in walls and ceilings with emulsion though)…

What do you think ?

(Andy Crichton) #2

For cutting in, it is a slightly different technique between angled and flat, ie with an angle brush you can’t just cut left right left back and forth, it is slightly more exaggerated adjustment to keep the pointed end behind the stroke. I like it, but as you say, some won’t.

For painting out flat surfaces, you are probably right to stick with a flat end. On paneled doors, you should still be ahead with an angled sash, but keep your wrist moving.

(RJ Taylor Decoration Ltd) #3

I pretty much use angled brushes foe 90% of my painting.

They take a little getting used to but once you do they much easier and quicker to paint with for me.

As Andy says, for lots of flat areas a traditional flat brush is probably best though.

(Lee Simone - Imaginative Interiors) #4

For the the last few days I have been back at clients house and it’s given me the first real opportunity to test out the Picasso 2.0" Angled Cut Standard Handle Paint Brush I was kindly sent by Andy at MyPaintBrush to test out. I am going to be creating a three-tone cloudy striped colour wash and first I needed to prepare the walls with three coats of acrylic eggshell. I also needed to put a couple of coats of matt emulsion on a pretty ornate ceiling. I used the Picasso for both the emulsion and the acrylic eggshell and agree with RJ, the Picasso performed excellently. It held a great amount of paint, made application easy and brushes out nicely. The angled oval design made cutting in easy too - overall very happy, thanks Andy.

(mick downie) #5

hi
the Picasso 2inch angled brush is also ideal for painting gutter boards.you can reach right up to the top of the gutterboard without getting paint on the gutter. plus sharp lines when cutting in the brackets.

regards
mick

(Andy Crichton) #6

Hi Mick, what style handle are you using on fascias?

cheers

(mick downie) #7

evening andy

I use the standard angled brushes on the fascias. 3/4in straights on the soffits,apexs. just spent over 130 on the carrot tops. I have also bought some rembrants as well.not tried these yet… happy painting governor lol

(M Dunn Decorating) #8

What ever you use it allways makes me smile when people talk about cutting ceilings and walls with a 2 inch brush.
My old gaffer wouldnt let us use anything less than a 4 inch for cutting in and nowdays i couldnt use anything less than a 3 inch.
As for picassos, i love the bigger sizes but find the smaller sizes loose there fine lines to easy when they have been used a bit.

(Andy Crichton) #9

Back in the day you probably wouldn’t have been cutting in with a synthetic brush fit for painting with :slight_smile: It seems to be getting quite clear though, that the choice of brush size has altered with the different filaments around. 3" is worth a 4" of old, in terms of how much paint it can hold and you can use, and the other way round, a 2.5" is now as nimble as an old 2".