TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Best paint for new woodwork in kitchen?

(Christina Smith) #1

Hello

Would appreciate some advice on paint for new woodwork in my kitchen – skirting boards, architraves and doors. It’s been a few years since I last painted any woodwork from scratch – always used primer, oil based undercoat and top coat. Am a little nervous of using new formula oil based paints as I gather these can go yellow rather quickly and I do like being able to clean up with water. I used some water based eggshell recently to repaint some windows and sills and wasn’t too impressed, but that was Crown ordinary domestic paint bought in a hurry from Homebase…

I would buy a trusted brand like Little Greene but I want to match the paint to my kitchen units (RAL 9016 Traffic White). Was thinking of possibly Zinsser Perma-White, Holmans can supply this tinted.

Would this be a good choice for the wear and tear of a normal kitchen? I have an unopened tin of Crown Trade Wood Primer (solvent based so needs longer drying time but doesn’t matter, my time is my own), would this be OK under the Zinsser or should I leave it in the tin and buy something else? And would I also need an undercoat?

Skirting and architraves are new timber (have been old fashioned and treated the knots with knotting solution!). Doors are different – the joiner made me up some to blend in with the others in the house by using a standard plywood flush door with MDF strips applied to match the panels on the originals. My local paint supplier recommended Crown Grip Extreme for the MDF sections.

Your thoughts, please!

Christina

(Andy Crichton) #2

Move away from the oil based primer :slight_smile:

Zinsser Perma White eggshell is for kitchens, it is self priming. If you seal knots, then apply a coat, followed by judicious fine surface filling and sanding and caulking and you are good to go through to a finish coat on coat.

This article explains how to get a 5 star finish with just water based. The primer is now known as Classidur Extrem, it is like an undercoat in consistency so if you want to build the surface a bit that would actually be a good first coat, main filling, a couple of layers of gesso and followed by caulking and painting as described with the Zinsser Perma - White. If time is your own, that isn’t a bad spec.

(Christina Smith) #3

Andy, thank you.

The oil based primer will be returned to the shop!

The new timber is pretty decent quality so maybe the Zinsser plus filling and two top coats will do the job. The plywood doors aren’t bad, not as grainy as some. Will only be able to tell, I suppose, once I’ve got a coat of paint on.

I shall have to think about the gesso and/or fine surface filling - sounds as though it requires a good deal of practice but would perhaps be a technique worth acquiring for some of the old windowsills which are somewhat battered. Will have to practice in the garage on some old bits of wood as it sounds rather like cake icing, which I’m rubbish at.

What about the MDF bits though? Wouldn’t anything water based make it fluff up?

(greenpainting) #4

Yep - but you’re going to sand it down anyway right? :slight_smile:

(dave D9 decor) #5

Zinsser recommend their water based 123 for MDF

(Christina Smith) #6

Yes, of course I’m going to sand it, I promise!

Have a tin of 123, bought it because I have to paint the bathroom and two bedrooms next and the upstairs doors have been stripped and varnished, probably in the 80s. Last time I painted a varnished door the paint reacted with the varnish and I ended up with yellow staining coming through, despite three coats of primer. So could use that on the MDF to be on the safe side.

Have ordered the perma white tinted from Holmans, they’re very helpful even for a small order.