TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Brushes for hand painted kitchens

(Andy Crichton) #1

Mark Nash is one the most experienced, and best kitchen painters working in the UK, and he emptied his pockets to show us a few of his paint brushes for hand-painted kitchen work.

Check out Mark’s videoed explanation of his Brushes for hand painting kitchens He is a true expert in this field and personally I could chat with him for hours about his work. A true UK Kitchen Painter.

Laying off Brush
(Russ Pike) #2

Thats a great bit of kit you have there Mark. Just wondered what u use the pump up garden sprayer for?

Regards

Russ

(Russ Pike) #4

Whats a flag brush Jase?

A very nice set up Mark, its good to see someone else with a few purdys.
I have to say the monarch is my brush of choice for kitchen, keeping in mind 95% of my work is still with oils, I have tried a few from the wooster range, which I do like for water based paints but always finding myself reaching for the purdy with oils.

(Russ Pike) #6

I too still use Purdy Monarch’s Neil and believe it or not I also use Hamilton Perfection for oil work. IMO you still cant beat a nice worn in Hamilton for brush free finish and they keep so well in a brush mate.

Used a Wooster ultra soft today with the Mythic eggshell, nice brush but I found it a little thin, so then tired a wooster alpha, again very nice but I found it harder to lay off with that one. So a quick coffee and out came my Monarch and got to say it was great with the eggshell, laying off was a dream.
I still have a few hamiltons but only use them for outside work normally, still a very nice brush.

(Andy Crichton) #8

[quote]Quote from Neil Callender on July 9, 2012, 19:31
Used a Wooster ultra soft today with the Mythic eggshell, nice brush but I found it a little thin, so then tired a wooster alpha, again very nice but I found it harder to lay off with that one. So a quick coffee and out came my Monarch and got to say it was great with the eggshell, laying off was a dream.
I still have a few hamiltons but only use them for outside work normally, still a very nice brush.[/quote]

Have you tried the Picasso in the Mythic paints? Its a bit of a wonder brush for the acrylic latex paint, holds so much paint if you load it up.

(twitter_Imberboy) #9

Not tried a picasso yet but I do have one it the van, so might give it a go tomorrow as it should be my last day at the job.

Must say I’m liking the mythic eggshell, takes a little getting used to and I did get a bit worried as the paint, even why dry, does feel very soft but been told today by Matt that it has a 7 day cure, so fingers crossed it will be ok in the end.

(RJ Taylor Decoration Ltd) #10

I’m not a big fan of the Picasso for Mythic Paints when using it on trim. I find Mythic is prone to brushmarks if the bristles are a thick diameter. I’d use a Picasso for cutting in Mythic Flat or Eggshell on walls where the scrutiny wouldn’t be as great.

For Mythic on trim I would recommend a soft bristle brush like a Proform Contractor, if you can get one, Wooster’s Silver Tip or one of Corona’s Tynex/Orel range. I’ve been using the Corona 2" Knight flat brush lately with great results. I’m testing this brush but they are apparently available, to order, from Brewers.

(Andy Crichton) #11

Corona 2" Knight - would like to see a review on that flat brush, Ron. Are they chemical dipped so they have a fine tip finish but wear down quite quickly, or do they take a different approach?

(Andrews Decorating) #12

After watching Marks video I got me some of those Royal and Langnickel brushes they really are a treat, fantastic finish and great value. Thanks Mark!
Id be interested to know if the Dupont Gold Taklon polyester filaments in the Royals are the same as the Picasso filaments as the colour and flagging is identical, just a smaller diameter.

(Russ Pike) #13

From a cost perspective I found the Silver Tips worked really well with Mythic.

(Steve Waterhouse) #14

[quote]Quote from Andrews Decorating on August 1, 2012, 21:53
After watching Marks video I got me some of those Royal and Langnickel brushes they really are a treat, fantastic finish and great value. Thanks Mark!
Id be interested to know if the Dupont Gold Taklon polyester filaments in the Royals are the same as the Picasso filaments as the colour and flagging is identical, just a smaller diameter.[/quote]

can not find these brushes on Royal and Langnickel web site ( one of the hardest i have ever tried to navigate ) any chance of a link or brush name/number

(My Hand Painted Furniture) #15

The Royal and Langnickel web site is one of the worst I’ve been on too. Same question from me, does anyone have a link to where I can buy and have these shipped online?

(Andy Crichton) #16

From our master, Mr Nash

[quote]
Try this link for a set

They are far from the most expensive brushes on the decorating market,
But as far as detailed work with tikkurila feelings paint, they both work together very well indeed.[/quote]

(mick downie) #17

afternoon
thanks for the link mr nash.i have just bought some today…i will get back 2 u all with a review

mick

(Steve Waterhouse) #18

[quote]Quote from Andy Crichton on January 29, 2013, 23:35
From our master, Mr Nash

[quote]
Try this link for a set

They are far from the most expensive brushes on the decorating market,
But as far as detailed work with tikkurila feelings paint, they both work together very well indeed.[/quote][/quote]

ok looked at brushes on link and similar products non of these are the brush i am referring to, it’s the 2"/3" in the video for laying off

(Andy Crichton) #19

they do a large area Golden Taklon brush set

(Steve Waterhouse) #20

thanks andy 2 packs ordered

(Russ Pike) #21

The Range sell all lot of Royal & Langnickel brush sets:
http://www.therange.co.uk/royal-brush-12pc-gold-taklon-lrg-area-brush-box-set/brushes/the-range/fcp-product/58648