TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Buyer beware - online marketing deception

(Andy Crichton) #1

I was amazed when a highly reputable company with a massive website, thought it was fine to allow their webmaster to copy and paste text and even photos from my blogs, change links and republish the content as their own.

In years gone by this could have been excused on the grounds that it is only the internet, it is all free, content has no value, therefore, what’s the problem. But in this day and age, where billions of real dollars are being spent creating content for the internet, of course this antiquated and flawed idea is not valid on any level. It is now obvious that content has measurable economic value and therefore copying, pasting and taking content as your own is genuine stealing, as understood by every modern man. (If it has no value, why would a profit driven company take it in the first place.)

Content stealing dinosaurs should no longer be allowed to walk the internet unscathed. I did the wrong thing and was fairly nice to the person responsible for ripping off whole blog posts including photos of me, and re-working my links into their links. I was nice, they thought that was weak, and tried to take the upper ground. Whatever. If they ever take TP content and re-use it, without our permission, we will see how weak the reaction is on Twitter.

Another side of the same content-nicking coin, is where FaceBook and other social media platforms are enabling businesses to mix "inspirational images " in with their own work, till it is very hard for readers to distinguish glossy magazine work from images of that company’s very average work. Or is that just my warped perception?

Whatever the modern trends for portraying fact and fiction and original content side by side, the old trend prevails - Caveat Emptor. if you see a house painter from middle England displaying pictures of a pink palace or a royal gilded coach on their FB page, do question why the images are there - or ask if they have a bridge you can buy.

(mick downie) #2

Totaly agree andy. many websites that i have seen aimed at the painter an decorator domestic,commercial market are pictures from website operaters stock libaries and as you say glossy mags. in other words not work carried out by the decorators.to give future clients a false image of the firm. ( chances, toshers, and brush hands.)on my website all what you see is true. when meeting new clients i always show a portfolio of jobs and names,addresses and phone numbers. but as we all know these so called professional decorators will be found out…to pull the wool over peoples eyes an lie is beyond there reasoning.

(darrenslaughter) #3

Content scraping is a signal you are doing good work…At least that is what I tell myself!