TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Fabric Backed Silk wallpaper

(dave D9 decor) #1

Any tips and techniques on hanging fabric backed silk wallpaper?

I’m a relatively experienced paperhanger but not hung silk before.

I’ve been told the rolls are 1500m wide, selvedge to be trimmed, hang with 5mm overlap and splice through both drops.

Plain beige colour silk

any tips or pitfalls to beware of gratefully received
Dave

(M Dunn Decorating) #2

from what you say they are bloody wide rolls!!! i presume you mean 1500mm?

dont know how much you have to sling but seeing as its contract width i presume it comes on a bolt.
if it does check to see if the bolts are numbered. if so hang in order - highest 1st.

fabric backed so paste the wall with recomended paste.if there isnt one recomended i would look at a fairly light mix without pva because of the risk of marking the front. maybe consider beeline green lid?

check its not reverse alternate lengths if its a plain - wouldnt have thought so if its light in colour.

change you blades often - olfa black would be good.

dont get any paste on the front - some people will put a length of low tack tape next to the overlap when trimming but i never bother when its paste the wall - just work clean.

you may find some clean rag/cloth is better for smoothing than a smoothing brush but if its contract stuff a clean spatula may be fine.

but most of all if its a bolt of contract width just approach it as any wide width and dont be scared of it.

hope i havent told you how to suck eggs. good luck with it.

mart

(dave D9 decor) #3

thanks Mart - yes 1500mm wide not a metric mile!!!
many thanks for reply
Dave

(oldsalmo) #4

Hi dave splicing silk can be a night mare for many reasons
Especially having a fabric back if you have a line to trim try
It dry on the table with a straight edge a good one is what
Plasterers use approx 2 meters and just butt it on the wall
Would probably paint wall at edges same shade as silk

(dave D9 decor) #5

ok, yes, the dry trim sounds a great idea, thank you

(Zen) #6

Hi Dave,
i might add that when wiping any excess paste from trim and cieling, put your spatula to the edge as if you are gonna trim, and clean the paste off the adjacent surface with your damp sponge using the spatula as a gaurd for the silk. Just so you keep the fabric from getting wet. IF you do get any seepage from your joints it should tolerate light dabbing with a very well wrung sponge or clothe.
I was always taught that when using something for the first time take an off cut and put it through some tests to see what it will tolerate; get some paste on the face and dabb it of and see how it likes it.
I backup Martins comment about snapping your blade after each cut and treat it with respect but dont fear it.

Best of luck mate, it would be good to see some pics when you are done.

Ciaran