TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Filler taking long time to dry

(darlic) #1

i have been using toupret filler on wall,most of it has dried nice but some bits haven’t,the heating has been on, but the walls a cold wall,no house next door,is this a common problem this time off year,how can you work around theses problems,use a heat gun,put pva in filler,would that help,like you said Andy fill in small stages,that would help,have heaters against the wall,or start the filling few days before you need to,if extreme whether conditions,or even better use two pack filler,that would dry quickly.As the day gos on there be more lessons but least i am learning.Thanks andy, :frowning:

(darlic) #2

What the best two pack filler to use on walls.

(darlic) #3

I need help with this one,as far as mixing the filler touprett say on there website,if you turn the filler upside down on a filling knife it should stick to the knife if mixed correctly,i done that right but still had problems.

(darlic) #4

Anyone got any ideas.

(Andy Crichton) #5

[quote]Quote from darlic on December 1, 2013, 10:44
i have been using toupret filler on wall,most of it has dried nice but some bits haven’t,the heating has been on, but the walls a cold wall,no house next door,is this a common problem this time off year,[/quote]

It is a problem. The moisture from the filler has to go somewhere. Don’t waste time with a heat gun who knows what else damage you might cause. PVA in filler can’t see what that does for drying times.

As you say, fill in small stages, if the filler is solid enough to turn upside down without flopping on the floor and still creamy enough to work with, thats all you can do. And have indirect heat on in the room.

Polycell Deep Hole is a 2-pack and dries very quick and is a strong filler. It is pricey but seems to go a long way. (Its that balance again, is your time being held up by slow drying filler worth more than paying top dollar for a quicker drying filler.)

I do add emulsion to filler at times but that is for making a strong backing mix to build up deep holes, not because it makes the filler dry quicker.

(darlic) #6

Andy you say you add emulsion to filler what do you mean for making strong backing mix,what doses it do and how much do you add to filler,can you add any emulsion.Thanks for your time.

(Andy Crichton) #7

It was an experiment I tried years ago. I would just add as much vinyl matt emulsion as you want to get the consistency you want. As a stiff mix piled into a gaping hole it dries rock solid, then top it off when dry with straight filler. It is a bit like using the strength of dried paint with the Toupret scrim bedded in matt emulsion. It may well be duff science with filler, but if you try it, you will see it makes filler rock hard.

I do recall Toupret mentioning some decorators in London were tinting the TX120 skim fillers ie they were applying finish and colour in one. They weren’t sure about the correct science of that approach either

(darlic) #8

Hi fellow friends my son has been filling a wall,noticed when he smoothed out the touprett tx110
the filler bubbled in a few areas what caused it we have been using it for years great stuff.