TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Filling crack in artex ceiling with circle patterns

(darlic) #1

Hi folks, got a job on a ceiling, its artex with circle patterns, the problem is its the width of room,
so its visible ,what’s the most effective way I can fix it.I did think of using some anti crack caulk,
but it would still be visable,is it a case od scraping back scriming ,using a artex brush to match pattern .cheers

(darlic) #2

This is a picture of ceiling crack I have got to repair, think its going to be the artex brush ,
any other idears,cheers

(Craig Brooks P & D) #3

Skrim tape would be best answer and a few screws to stop joint movement. But on my jobs I would often get ceiling skimmed too.

Assuming you want to keep artex, personally think you’ll always see it if its patched.

Could try Toupret flexible filler. Think its called elafib or something had mixed results with it. Just make sure to leave it smooth so it doesn’t need sanding.

(Craig Brooks P & D) #4

Also be careful with artex that hasn’t been tested as it can contain asbestos if its pre 2001

(Andy Crichton) #5

Thanks Craig. According to the fashion police, that stuff is indeed best buried under a smooth plaster!

This Wiki entry implies there was still asbestos based artex on the market after 2000, which sounds mad and like you, I didn’t think that was the case. Do you have any info confirming it was unavailable after 2001. If artexers somewhere in the country were still using asbestos based artex into the mid 2000’s or later, ouch!

Before any homeowner or painter doing repairs gets too nervous about the health implications, the reference also gives a useful reminder of where the danger might lie.

Until the mid-1980s[citation needed], the Artex coating was made with white asbestos to strengthen it. Therefore old Artex manufactured by Artex Ltd. will
contain asbestos while Artex coatings applied after 2000 may or may not contain asbestos. It is also worth noting that the texture is only
harmful when in a powder form, i.e., being sanded, and poses little risk while it is undisturbed on ceilings or walls and covered with emulsion paint.

(Paints and Interiors) #6

Try using the Dunlop High Bond as well. It says can be used over Artex successfully as a skim coat negating the need for a separate primer.

(Craig Brooks P & D) #7

Indeed. Whilst intact and untouched it is safe but sanding or cut (like when people put in spot lights it is a potential risk).

My main knowledge of it is from a local building company who test all artex no matter the age and have found it in stuff installed in 2002. I’d assume old stock was used in this case as it couldn’t have been sold at this point.

Hse website states 2001, I will post a link when I get home. I think I wrote it into a blog on my website if you need to find it sooner.

I have also read that its unknown if white asbestos is even harmful and comparing it to the dangerous stuff is like comparing apples and oranges. I will try and find where I read that as well so that you can make your own conclusions. I prefer the cautious approach, though normally when I arrive customers have already had it skimmed.

I often find people are surprised and having already had other decorating quotes they say it hasn’t been mentioned!

(Craig Brooks P & D) #8

Sorry for derailing this thread :-/

I can’t find the original HSE page regarding asbestos in artex, they have updated it. It used to mention 2001

I did however find this about white asbestos

HSE Press Release E010:02 - 5 February 2002

HSE has today confirmed that white asbestos (chrysotile) is a
major health hazard.

All asbestos can cause cancer and the vast bulk of scientific
evidence in the UK and abroad regards the risk from white asbestos as
proven.

There is evidence that the risks from this substance are less than
more potent carcinogens such as blue and brown asbestos, known as
crocidolite and amosite. But it still carries a risk and for that
reason white asbestos will be included in the new rules due to come
into force later this year. These require those responsible for
commercial buildings to manage any asbestos in the premises.

(Craig Brooks P & D) #9

Funnily enough just looked at a job today with artex walls and ceilings that needs to be tested

(greenpainting) #10

Just to add my two penneth - yes asbestos is safe if undisturbed. However, in this case the crack in the ceiling shows movement. It has compromised the Artex coating and has/is releasing fibres into the air. Even the smallest amount can be dangerous so to do nothing is not an option. To mess about filling is risky.

If the Artex is staying then before I did anything I would paint something over the crack to seal what’s there first. Then do your filling. But I would discuss the potential danger with the homeowner (HO) and suggest skimming the whole lot. I’d sooner fork out £150 for a skim than risk anything else. Asbestos is evil - it’s not worth messing about or taking chances - EVER.

(I added homeowner to clarify for readers not familiar with painter jargon :slight_smile: - Andy )