TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Flaky Exterior Paint: Best way forward?

(DavidJ) #1

Hi,

after a bit of advice/reassurance on how to deal with this flaky paint at the base of a customer’s house.

Looking at it, the render goes right down to the ground so sucks up moisture from leaves and excess rain that gets behind the paint and causes it to fail. Rubbing the render with a finger leaves some residue, but it’s not what I’d call “dusty”. The house was apparently redecorated five years ago, though my gut feeling says it may have been longer than that.

Normally I would say go in with a scraper and take off any loose that comes off easily (but obviously don’t go too mad), let it dry off, maybe touch in with Dulux Stabilising Primer then two coats of Dulux Masonry on top.

It may well be that advice to the customer is keep leaves cleared regularly from that channel, but that ultimately it will always get wet and this will recur eventually. Would that be right, or am I being too negative?

There are other areas of flakiness higher up the building, and I’m guessing I’d treat them the same way.

Any product or process advice very welcome, thanks.

(DavidJ) #2

I know this is basic stuff, but anyone want to offer an opinion? I’d like to make sure I’m on the right track.

(Russ Pike) #3

Stabilising solution is more for flaking/chalking surfaces not a preventative for damp problems which seems to be the problem here!

Remove as much loose material as possible to a hard edge and apply 3 x coats of pliolite masonry with first coat thinned by 20%.

Advise customer as you suggested above one completed.

Russ

(DavidJ) #4

Russ thanks again for your advice. I’m assuming that if I needed pliolite masonry on these areas it would be correct to use it on the whole job?

David

(Adrian) #5

Stabilising solution all the way.I had a job about 16 years ago, very chalky paint and flaking paint, went over it with Stabilising solution, not any problems since. And if it wasn’t for the paint fading it wouldn’t need doing.

(RJ Taylor Decoration Ltd) #6

If the wall is sucking up moisture then causing the paint to peel theres not much you can do unless that problem is solved first.

But if the paint is lasting 5 years or so I would try a Canasian product called XIM Peel Bond. This is an acrylic latex very high build primer that sticks to pretty much anything and builds up scraped and sanded areas and helps disguise them. It’s compatible with most substrates on the interior and exterior of buildings except metal. It can be used over existing oil based paint but MUST be topcoated with water based coatings. It can also be used to prime bare wood.

Ive been using it for the last 12 months and it really does work. I wouldn’t be without it for exterior work now. The are videos on YouTube for the product and accessed by typing in Peel Bond.