TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Food colouring in filler to keep it more visible

(Andy Crichton) #1

Continuing the discussion from Painting tips!:

I am curious about this approach, not adopted it myself. Any thoughts and feedback welcome.

(pd67) #2

I’ve tried this a few times but find it sets the filler quicker and becomes not so user friendly after a while.
Also the paint has to be able to cover the colouring which may not always happen.
Personally if I’m checking for dings to fill then I’ll use a pencil and lightly scribble on or near the defect. This can show through the filler so you can double check. Also the paint will definitely cover.

(5Bridge) #3

I’ve seen it done with coffee grounds,…not by me though!

Life’s to short to mess about, check out morrells, they do a one pack wood filler which is about 3£ a tub and they do it in about 20 colours! I carry about ten on the van and you can mix the different colours together

Dries super quick too

http://www.morrells.co.uk/products/sundries/7

(Paul Kelly) #4

Hi guys, I have used acrylic strainers in my fillers for walls and ceilings when carrying out very high end preparation, prior to lining etc for many years. I use a different colour for each stage of filling. I did have a carpenter friend who thought we’d used food colourants and he tried it at home with disastrous consequences!!

(Russ Pike) #5

lee_b

Borma Wachs are an Italian lacquer manufacturer, I used to work with them running fine finishing courses. They actually make a lot of Morrells oils and waxes for them under private label.

The product here: http://www.bormawachs.com/gb/64-restoration known as Turapori is a basecoat gel and I think Morrells stock it under a different name; its a single pack clear base gel that can be mixed with wood dust, so lets say if your working with mahogany and you have some holes to fill, this product can be mixed with the mahogany wood dust, giving you an almost perfect match, its also stainable. Also if your working with oak or other open-grain timbers and you want a precise repair (run a blade across the dried gel to recreate the brain effect). Wood dust can also be mixed with pva glue for natural repairs but wont allow for over staining as this product will.

With regards food colourants in fillers; be careful if hanging wall coverings over the top (even when lined and if your using wheat based pastes, as the adhesives can draw the colourant through the papers and cause irreversible staining!

The edge of a 2 pence piece is as good as anything for highlighting defects on plaster work. The metallic ,ark it leaves can be easily rubbed out and/or overpainted, a classic site managers snagging practice.

Just saying