TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Fox Brushes

(dazco) #1

I have just ordered a fox 12 sash brush after seeing it being mentioned as good on spindles. Can anyone offer any further info on its use on spindles and maybe more reviews on other fox brushes?

(Russ Pike) #2

I’ve recently completed some spindled backed pine chairs as part of a hand painted kitchen refurb using a fox sash brush No.14 I was using the same brush to paint the door mouldings: https://www.facebook.com/furniturekitchenpainter

Ive have used all sorts of sash brushes over the years and have to say the Fox are BY FAR the best Ive used!

Why? Paint pick up is superb, they hold so much paint and the type of bristle used in these sash brushes makes the application of both Oil and Water based products a pleasure to apply. They maintain their shape throughout but if using in water based paints I would wash them out say every 2 to 3 hours to maintain the excellent finish the bristle offers. They do take a bit of washing out as they hold paint so well (not a bad thing). In my opinion,due to its shape I think it covers more surface area than a traditional cut/pointed sash and cutting in with these is sharp!

Hope this helps

(Andy Crichton) #3

There is a full run down on the Fox paintbrush range, to give you a few pointers on what to look out for and why we think they are worth a close look.

(tictac2340) #4

I have just got some fox brushes , but yet to use them, waiting for the right job.

TT

(greenpainting) #5

I have had a few and after an initial shedding issue with one (an email resulted in an immediate free replacement) I can honestly say these are my faves for a lot of work. I have been after a good home-grown brush and these are it.

To look at you’d think cutting in would be poor but the tips are so soft they easily compress into a sharp edge. I used a 2" on skirting and even cutting the tops was a joy.

I agree with the cleaning aspect - they take longer to clean than most after w/b but that’s only because there is so much paint in them so it’s a sacrifice I am happy to make. I would say they hold more than a Picasso and lay off just as nicely. I am impressed enough to switch my preference away from angled brushes in favour of the flats - although when an angled Fox comes along I’m not sure where I will end up :slight_smile:

Everyone needs to try these brushes. Not sure how they are in oils since I don’t touch it, but for w/b they are a pleasure to use.

(now where’s my free t-shirt?)

(Andy Crichton) #6

Sounds like you have found a few orange friends? Which sizes have you got?

(greenpainting) #8

I’ve been using 1", 2" and 2 1/2" in Ecosure u/c and gloss and a bit of BE123+.

Also picked up a 3" laying off brush and a set of the round sashes but haven’t had a chance to try those yet but looking forward to it.

(Andy Crichton) #9

The sashes are proving quite the hit, enjoy. There will be some interesting tips on the laying off brush coming soon from Kevin Mapstone. Will make you think!

(tictac2340) #10

I have just used my, 2in Fox yesterday, in Zinsser 123 Plus, and can say its the best i have used in Waterbased paint.
Will be back onto My Paint Brush for more i think.

TT

(trev_mc) #11

I had some Fox brushes delivered yesterday, hoped to be using them this week on banister rail and skirting but other trades are in the house creating dust, so hopefully next week I’ll get chance to try them out

(Russ Pike) #12

Which ones did you go for? The No.14 sash would be my choice for spindled bannisters

(trev_mc) #13

I went for 2" , 1.5" , and 1". I bought 2 of each, if I remember correct the sash brush sets were out of stock so hope to get some this week, fingers crossed I can give myself 5 minutes to get some ordered

(dazco) #14

I used my Fox sash brush on some spindles and banister this week and it was a delight to use! used it with Bedec aqua gloss and very happy with the finish. I even did a small window sill with it laid it of to and again came out great!!

(Andy Crichton) #15

I moved 5 posts to a new topic: Masking tape and masking dispenser suggestions

(trev_mc) #20

Just ordered, amoungst other bits, some Fox sash brushes and a Fox 3" Lay off brush

(RJ Taylor Decoration Ltd) #21

You won’t go wrong with the Fox sash brushes. Brilliant for door moldings and small rebates.
When I first saw them I thought I would never use them. Wouldn’t be without them now.

(dazco) #22

I have now ordered more fox brushes, I will soon have all the sizes in the range. I wonder if there will be an angled range of foxes at some point?

(Andy Crichton) #23

[quote]Quote from dazco on July 21, 2014, 16:46

I have now ordered more fox brushes, I will soon have all the sizes in the range. I wonder if there will be an angled range of foxes at some point?[/quote]

Watch this space??? :slight_smile:

(darlic) #24

Got some door mouldings to paint whats the best the corona,s or these?

(Andy Crichton) #25

Jason, Sash brushes for mouldings, you will need a couple of different sizes, why not try a Fox and a Corona Comet and compare? Our big Comet fan at TP is totally Fox now, but not everyone gets on the same with the same brushes.