TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

General decorating

(Andy Crichton) #1

Homeowners, suppliers and tradesmen can share their views on the decorating trade. The good and what to do better. Use the paint, wallpaper, exterior & period/heritage categories for specific practical problems, case studies

Time saving ways
(darlic) #4

We finished our last job,we noted between me and my son where we could work more efficiently,and acted.

I am purchasing a fold up sack barrow,and 80 litre storage boxes so we can save time there.

We have a paint go, paint mate,and kovrd so there’s no cleaning off brushes, and rollers store nicely.

We are looking at keeping a selection of tapes for different surfaces, any advice appreciated.

As for rollers keep in stock the large Wooster rollers a must, that would have saved time.

May even look at a spray kit any ideas there for emulsion? Don’t dulux do a day course.

As for customers, certainly carrying paint charts would have been good idea.

Getting an advertising board to place where we working would save some footwork on the leaflets, or even magnetic signs. Sample paint pots with our label to give to the customer if they chipped a bit off paint.

On this job we have finished we have,bought them some polish for there patio glass, just a nice way off saying thank you,and getting some good word out.

Any feedback much appreciated, the tool below is our new tool from axus take a look. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

(Andy Crichton) #5

I am making this page a sticky, Jason, it is information that many many professionals would benefit from reading through as a check list / rocket.

(bitzz) #6

I’ve been using the crate system of storage for a while now since my van gave up the ghost and having to use my car, I have found that the 35 litre ones suit me better easier to lift and carry around.
Have been use the sleeve spinner for 4 or 5 years, think mine was made by rodo, does what it says on the tin. When spinning out a brush - comb it back into shape immediately.

(Zen) #7

Hi j
tapes; cantech is good all round tape, its green in colour, not a low tach, probably medium.
I like the sack Barrow idea I might go for that myself, how much did you pay?
let me know how the roller spinner works out.

(Zen) #9

Hi j
tapes; cantech is good all round tape, its green in colour, not a low tach, probably medium.
I like the sack Barrow idea I might go for that myself, how much did you pay?
let me know how the roller spinner works out.

when working with waterbased or hi breed trim paint I paint as one would for wallpapering. That is paint all the trim first and go onto the wall surface, no cutting in. When fully dry I tape up the trim taking care to make good lines and then emulsion the walls. Then agin when dry lift the tape, there may be a little to touch up, creep or occasionally a bit of trim paint comes away. I have found the lines I get are excellent and it quicker than cutting in. Water based paints spread thinly so you can have issues trying to get it to cover darker colours painting trim the conventional way. So this method eliminates that.

(darlic) #10

Thanks Ciaren i bought the barrow from BQ,fold up,i no you run from a small van that will suit you,also bought box’s there needed to see how strong they were something,you cant do when buying online,i bought the ones with handles very good,as for roller spinner will do write up on weekend,thanks for the tips,nice to have such good contribution from yourself,may i also recommended the kovd,and paint go,that saved my son a lot off time,i no your a great lover off cleaning rollers,brushes,something i am not,keep pressing on.