TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Hand painting the kitchen

(alex.grice) #1

Hi TP
First post so please be patient
I am currently half way through buidling our kitchen from scratch - quite an undertaking and hoping to finish this year - hoping…
The carcasses are 18mm birch ply with beech face frames, inset doors (shaker style cope/stick)and drawer fronts (solid beech.)
So far the carcasses are in and Ive painted the face frame with coverstain initially and then little green oil eggshell (pastel blue shade - looking for a finish like the St Tropez kitchen - I know 'dream on'.) Whilst making the drawers (took a few weeks) I noticed that the eggshell finish on the face frames was scratching easily. If I complete drawer faces and the doors in a similar manner then Im afraid they’ll look shocking after a month or two of use.
What options do I have for protecting the finish?

This will make you laugh - don’t try this at home - but I had some ‘clear’ marine epoxy on the shelf which I tried on one of the drawer fronts - produces the most indestructible finish (could sand it off!) so you can use it on oil eggshell but the colour changed from pastel blue to a naseating green - firmly rejected by significant other.

Am keen to maintain the flat finish so was hoping for pointers in terms of whether it’s a good idea to add an acrylic varnish (don’t think anyone rates wax) or a lacquer (never used before)or ???

Many thanks in advance

Alex

(Andy Crichton) #2

Hi Alex

building your own, better man than me. Taking doors on and off is my joinery skills encapsulated!

Oil eggshell does take 2-3 weeks to harden up, but depends on how hard you hit it. You presumably dont use power tools around the kitchen in normal use?

Marine epoxy is an interesting approach to stop scratching. Don’t try that at home - oh, but you did.

I have asked Lee in Yorkshire to weigh in with his clear finishes for oil eggshell.

(Lee Simone - Imaginative Interiors) #3

Hi Alex,

I would recommend Tikkurila’s Kiva lacquer available from Holmans paints - http://holmanpaints.co.uk/ (they deliver). It doesn’t come in what i would call a ‘true matt’ but if you get their matt it only has about a 10% sheen - it’s lovely to use, can be rollered on with a mini high density roller then layed off nicely. If you very lightly sand the exisiting eggshell finish with a 120 grit sanding pad (available from Dulux Decorating Centers) and apply 2 coats of the matt Kiva you should be all good. Holmans do little tester pots so perhaps try an area first.

Any further help, feel free to ask, am happy to help.

All the best

Lee

(Lee Simone - Imaginative Interiors) #4

heres the link :slight_smile:

(Andy Crichton) #5

As a guide on sheen, Little Greene oil eggshell is 20% sheen, and Dulux oil eggshell is 30%, so the Kiva lacquer at 10% is low shine finish in comparison

(alex.grice) #6

Hi guys
What a result! Ask and you find - can’t thank enough.
Can i ask what the difference between clear and transparent is? Which is less likely to alter the final colour?
Many thanks
Alex