TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

How did eggshell get its name?

(Zen) #1

Ok, not sure if this is the best place to make this post but can’t think of a better header.
Its a bit of fun really but I would be interested to hear if you think this sounds credible.

How did eggshell finish come by its name?

A number of years back I did a little paint effects course and the instructor told me this anecdote.He spoke of an old master who, in his brush collection, had a large stipple brush. I can’t remember how big he said but I think in excess of 18 inch square. When he asked this paint master what he used it for, he said it was for creating an eggshell finish. Apparently back in the day if they wanted a mid sheen lustre on wall areas, they would apply gloss paint and just as it began to dry they would stipple the wall to flatten the gloss. This stippling would leave a dimpled finish comparable with the surface of an eggshell. Hence this lustre came by its name.

So what do you think, sound true?

(Andy Crichton) #2

That’s one to ask Mr Salmo!

What came first, the stippler or the egg? I am not historical enough to comment on that!

So it sounds like the premise is that gloss paint came before eggshell?

I’d love to see an 18x18 stippler btw. Last one I saw that size was in the bin - my rubber one for artexing!

(Russ Pike) #3

The only theory I’m aware of is that the finish of this particular paint is of a similar lustre to that of an eggshell (Flat & Smooth).

I have heard of ancient Venetians that would crush eggs in their bare feet to make gold size for water gilding. This secret procedure had to be done in total silence! Hence the term ‘walking on eggshells’

Of course I’m yoking and have no idea!

Ahh the memories Andy: Standing under an 18" stippler all day making bobble effects while me mate brushed it on with a sweeping brush.