TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Invisible joints on lining paper to be painted

(dazco) #1

What is the very best method for lining a room to be painted so the joints are invisible once painted even in a well lit room?

(dazco) #2

And if it makes any difference the lining paper is going over some fibreboard walls in a old council house, walls are stripped some paint flaked and a few patches where fibers from the boards are exposed. Thinking about using guardz prior to the lining paper application due to there being paste residue, flaked paint and exposed board fibres?

(Andy Crichton) #3

Prep and Gardz, or there is Beeline Primer Sealer or Albany Sealer.

Standard lining paper can be hung tight butt joints, and if you have undulating surface and joints don’t quite meet, they can be coaxed together with a damp sponge. Pre paste at the joints for added security.

Before you paint, best check for any defects. So, overlaps check with your finger tips. Not ideal! but gently rub them out with fine abrasive. Any pimples, flatten them with a hammer and a piece of card to prevent a mark.

But from what you have described, it may be that the main surface has issues that could catch the eye. You may want to go the Wallrock fibreliner route, paste the wall system. ie like a felt to even out any issues, and then top off with paste the wall lining. Our Scot in Cheshire has a good description of the lining paper process

(dazco) #4

Thanks Andy, another question I know when hanging wallpaper it is best to cross line with the line paper but if your painting a wall is it best to paper horizontal or vertical?

(Andy Crichton) #5

My simplistic approach is to hang the fewest pieces / fewest joints. So that may be vertical or horizontal - ie with standard width lining on 2.4m high walls, horizontal usually works out best on fairly long uninterruped walls, but narrow walls, hanging vertically tends to be favourite per my theory, if using standard width lining :slight_smile:

But if you use 75cm or 1m wide lining, obviously the goalposts change and you re-assess.

if a wall has lots of obstacles work out what is simpler.

the old school theory I was taught about lining before hanging wallpaper was that the primary aim is to make sure joints in lining and top papers do not coincide, so the preferred approach is to cross line horizontal and hang the top paper vertical.

If this principle is correct, you can see it is not essential to cross line before hanging finish papers, if you plan your day.