TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Johnstones Aqua Satin

(dazco) #1

Been using Jono’s new aqua satin lately and in combination with their aqua undercoat I feel it is the closest to the old oil based so far. With a bit of XIM added it is really nice to work with.

(Russ Pike) #2

Hi Dazco

Johnno’s do seem to have the edge with all the big names lately, what you using the aqua satin on, trim I guess? What brushes you applying it with?

Cheers Russ

(dazco) #3

Hi Russ
I am using it on trim, doors, rads and window sills. I have been using a corona Kingston brush washed out regular.

(dave D9 decor) #4

I agree - the Johnstones Acqua range beats their own standard acrylic;Joncryl etc.
A quality hybrid,we’re using it on all our sash window refurb/repaint work.
Opacity is second to none.
Getting great results with Picasso or Wooster Silver tips - picasso for really sharp cutting e.g. glazing bars and Silver Tips + Hamilton 4" laying off for doors, shutters etc

For the finest of finishes - panels, shutters etc I think Mylands has the edge for flowout and final 'lustre.

(dazco) #5

Hi Dave how are you cleaning out your brushes after using the aqua paints?

(Russ Pike) #6

Corna Kingstons are cracking brushes, I use them a lot on my hand painted work as well as Fox’s. I also use Silver Tips but save picassos for the rare occasion when I apply emulsion, cant get on with them for woodwork
I wash mine out twice a day in a 50/50 mix of Krud Kutter original

(dazco) #7

Hi Russ I thought the original krud kutter only came in spray bottles, where do you obtain it from?

(RJ Taylor Decoration Ltd) #8

I haven’t tried the Aqua Satin but I’ve heard it’s good. The Aqua Gloss gave a good finish but was hard to get out of brushes.
I think a lot of companies are using hybrid technology now because they can improve durability if they add oil to acrylic paints. Mylands Eggshell is a favourite of mine because it’s easy to apply. F&B Estate Eggshell gives similar results bur is harder to work with.
They are becoming popular in the US now where they are referred to as ‘oil modified’ as opposed to hybrid.
Before Christmas I bought a tin of Colorex Mastarlack 40 from Paints & Interiors. I used it briefly and found it not as easy to use as the Mylands but the finish was superb. Lovely satin sheen and rock hard when fully dry. No way could you tell the difference between that and an oil based product.

(Russ Pike) #9

Here you go Dazco:

http://www.mypaintbrush.co.uk/accessories/krud_kutter/krud-kutter-original-bottle

Temporarily out of stock but they will soon have it in soon 3.79 Litre tubs which is approximate equivalent to 4 x trigger bottles

Ron, have you tried that Masterlack on kitchen doors, if so whats it like for laying off?

Cheers

(dazco) #10

Is the Mylands eggshell also a hybrid paint? I know what you mean about cleaning the aqua gloss out of brushes you certainly cannot leave them standing for to long during a break lol, I maybe wrong but I feel the aqua satin washes out better than the aqua gloss but that maybe just me :wink: I think come 2015 and the new wave of voc restrictions that oil based paints will die out.

(dave D9 decor) #11

yes Mylands is hybrid and it feels to me with more resins in than any other - resulting in amazing flow out and levelling, and gotta use KrudK to wash out! But well worth it.

For me Mylands is the best acrylic egg on the market,(thank you Ron for putting me onto that), same pristine finish as Satura BL but less runs. I always use Mylands for shutters and doors.

But the Johnstones Acqua is very close behind and way better than Crown or Dulux equivalents. When trialling numerous acrylics I was really suprised with the Johnstones Acqua - the opacity is superb and it flows out very well. I use it on narrower trim such as sash glazing bars.

(dazco) #12

Hi Dave do you add any XIM or floetrol to these hybrid paints?

(dave D9 decor) #13

I have used both in the past and always have some ready to add if I feel it needs it. For me the Mylands is perfectly balanced and have only used it without adding Floe or xim. Johnstones sometimes benefits from an extender if needs arise.

However I find that using the techniques I’ve learned from the masters on TP: - dampening the surface,lightly swilling out brush every 20-30 mins and laying off with a clean, damp 4" hamilton is getting us good results.

And of course the age old practice to never ignore stirring the paint really well before decanting into pelican! It’s especially true of the hybrid eggs/satins where the resins settle at the bottom of the tin.
Someone I worked with years ago likened it to a chef not tipping batter mix into a pan with out whisking first!

(dazco) #14

When you say swilling out the brush to what degree do you mean, and wetting the surface is that achieved with a light spray or wiping over with a damp cloth?

(dave D9 decor) #15

I just run the tap over the brush for a few seconds squeezing the bristles,then wipe onto clean cloth or paper. The idea being not to wash out all the paint just to stop the paint starting to thicken on the brush. Hmm, easy to show, and harder to actually write about it!

I tend to damp the surface with a barely damp microfibre cloth - I did try the garden pump spray technique but couldn’t get the mist fine enough. But having seen Mark Nash’s video that’s my shortcoming, not fault of the spray!

(RJ Taylor Decoration Ltd) #16

Hi Russ, no I’ve not used the Mastarlack on a kitchen yet. I think it would be a good product but it certainly wouldn’t be as easy a product as Feelings to apply. It would definitely be hardwearing though.

I do tend to add XIM to some acrylic or hybrid products (F&B Estate Eggshell for example) but the Mylands Eggshell doesn’t need it. The gloss is a little heavier and I’ve added it to that in the past with good results.

(dazco) #17

This is the problem I have had when using Johnstone’s Aqua range. After regular cleaning during use, soaking in KK etc the brush looses its spring and shape and up on parting the bristles there is a residue left by the aqua paint that I have never had with other companies hybrid paints! no wonder so many call jonos aqua the brush killer

(RJ Taylor Decoration Ltd) #18

I think Johnstone’s use a lot more oil than other hybrids. This doesn’t wash out with water and clings on to the bristles and ruins brushes. Mylands Eggshell doesn’t do it to that degree and neither does the new Dulux QD Gloss.
Try soaking the brushes in neat Viro-Sol. This is much more aggressive than Krud Kutter and tends to soften the residue.
A tip I read on another forum was not to wash the brush out in hot water as this helps burn the oil onto the filament and make it hard to remove. I haven’t put this to the test as I don’t use Aqua but it would make sound sense

(dazco) #19

I have sent a complaint and a copy of this picture to Johnstone’s Ron, for now I will use the Dulux quick dry hybrid paints as this washes out of brushes with ease. Sadly the brush in the picture is one of my fox brushes :frowning:

(Dan Kelly) #20

Hi, I haven’t tried the aqua satin but I have used the u/c and gloss and I was very impressed, as close to traditional paint as I have used. Got to say Johnstones have got the edge over the other big brands (across the board).