TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Make dark stained oak beams look natural

(Andy Crichton) #1

Dan K. emailed this question, what are your thoughts?

[quote]Hi,
I’m trying to find a product that can be painted onto dark stained oak beams which returns them to a natural look. (Examples can be found at http://www.renaissance-beams.co.uk).
One of my customers had this done by a similar company prior to me decorating the rest of the room and I have to say they it looks great.

My understanding is that a water based white paint goes on followed by a stain of the customers choice, the work was completed in a day by two men so it must be waterborne.

Any suggestions?
Really good info on your TP site by the way.
Regards
Dan[/quote]

(Puma) #2

I would have thought the white paint was perhaps paint stripper!

The only other way to do it that comes to mind would be to have a dark oak mixed up in oil eggshell or water based acrylic, slather it on and wipe it off with a pounce or sponge - leaving the raised ares in light oak. Then touching in the knots afterwards.

(Puma) #3

PS you would need the white undercoat for the above to show up properly. In fact I would put a hint of a slightly different oak brown into the primer just to add a bit of variation.

PPS If the colour is solid its probably one of those opaque stains used on exteriors and it might actually come of the oak very well indeed if it is stripped.

(Dan Kelly) #4

Hi, the beams weren’t stripped, it was definitely a white primer and then a light oak stain.
I can see where the primer wasn’t brushed into the splits in the oak so it gives a rustic look.

(Andy Crichton) #5

[quote]Quote from Puma on December 7, 2013, 20:39

PPS If the colour is solid its probably one of those opaque stains used on exteriors and it might actually come of the oak very well indeed if it is stripped. [/quote]

PPPS :slight_smile: I would think this approach is favourite as an analysis of the way the job that Dan witnessed was done. Quick drying base, maybe shellac so as to also avoid any tannin issues, and quick drying opaque stain over the top. Please not that Dulux Brush wood!

If it doesn’t last, at least when all coatings have been removed with soda blasters or whatever, they will end up with natural oak again!

(Puma) #6

I agree the opaque stain is a good choice.

(Dan Kelly) #7

I’m doing some tests with previously black stained oak then using Zin B.I.N as the base coat so I hope to get some results soon.
May take a while but I will post my results.

(Dan Kelly) #8

Please see pic of work carried out by restoration company.