TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Marketing a decorating business - advice required

(darlic) #1

Well here goes, i am hoping to start a part time decorating business glossing,emulsion,bread and butter stuff that i know i can do well.

I have placed two written cards in shop windows but that was a test to test the water, see if i could get any response

I know gardeners,ironers, who get their business. that way. I know a professional leaflet will be a good start,but what to put in it,is what i am not sure off,sounds stupid but,adding a twitter account,to the leaflet,get crb check so i can add that,how do you describe a basic decorator,on a leaflet to make it look professional.

I have drawn up list of places to place leaflets like dentists,doctors,community boards charty shops,churches,and so on,going to try local advertising

As far as website goes in early stages would it be recommend, being the fact it would have to be professional,that costs money,something i haven’t earned yet.

My thinking in the early stages of business is before I spend, times it by ten to see if its money well spent. When i go into businesses and see flash furniture, money spent before its earned, nice flowers and vase, decorated office would had same affect. Would money spent on website in early stages repay itself? With leafleting you can target where you want to work and place in areas where you can capture quiet a few people.

Local advertising if done right is cheap,and sometimes effective,i have even thought off knocking on doors.

Also with terms and conditions off business do they need to be printed or written. Same as quotes, can you use a invoice book or is it better to get invoices printed up. I don’t want to waste money.

(Andy Crichton) #2

[quote]Quote from darlic on October 26, 2013, 20:44
Well here goes, i am hoping to start a part time decorating business glossing,emulsion, bread and butter stuff that i know I can do well.[/quote]

Welcome to self employment. You will need to tell the HMRC folks within a few months. Hope you get off to a good start, it won’t be easy, bit nothing good ever was.

[quote]
I have placed two written cards in shop windows but that was a test to test the water, see if i could get any response

I know gardeners,ironers, who get their business. that way. I know a professional leaflet will be a good start,but what to put in it,is what i am not sure off,sounds stupid but,adding a twitter account,to the leaflet,get crb check so i can add that,how do you describe a basic decorator,on a leaflet to make it look professional.[/quote]

I put sample prices on a card I did when I first arrived in Cheshire. I also used a distrbution company who could target the areas I wanted to work in.

Get a postcard in good quality that will go on a pinboard. make sure title is not your name. Have bullet points and plenty of whitespace.

[quote]
I have drawn up list of places to place leaflets like dentists,doctors,community boards charty shops,churches,and so on,going to try local advertising[/quote] Businesses might be on twitter, homeowners not so likely.

Be as professional as you can because you may put people off with hand written terms. Invoices, maybe not a problem but if you have a PC or Smart phone, you have an office at your finger tips.

Dont get suckered into thinking you have to do everything yourself. If you do, lots wont get done! Delegate. Maybe do some work for a bookkeeper, marketer, etc to offset the cost of their services.

(Andy Crichton) #3

This marketing summary essentially covers everything you need to know about a framework for getting your name out there. http://www.businessballs.com/market.htm

(darlic) #4

Andy do you suggest a bright card or see what the printer says,i could buy Mr site to build a website,thanks for your expert advice,also is it worth getting a crb check so i can add to leaflet.

(Andy Crichton) #5

some colour is good ie an image, but keep the text clear and uncluttered.

Wordpress websites are free and worth investing some time to get the hang of the system. Free themes, and all round better way to get your business founded online.

CRB is a useful point for some clients. Put yourself in the shoes of who you are trying to reach, what matters to them?

(darlic) #6

i am about to go to printers ,to get leaflets designed,on the bottom off the leaflet,advertise some off the products i use like sickens,crown extra,also offer discount for pensioners,i have took the tips on hear learned huge amount,when i get the leaflet template back can anyone review it for me,i am not very good at this,how do you get images,on traditional painter .

(dazco) #8

It would be handy to have a standard quote and estimate template to be able to download :wink:

(darlic) #9

Couple off questions ,I am looking to purchase a van next year, and get magnetic signs, also will place leaflets in a sleeve so people walking past can take one, what response can you expect from this form off adverting, something I was also thinking was keeping a box off sweets in van to offer people who do approach for more info, three business I use do this? Also on my invoice book place the wording thank you for your business, nice touch, any feedback.

(darlic) #10

I am going to next year to try something new, let the paint do the marketing painted a room using feelings, the finish was superb,the difficulty I have found is trying to persuade customers to pay the price,any idears,was thinking off just upping my rate then I pay the difference,so when I do jobs every customer gets the best .

(darlic) #11

I bought a large number off leaflets but don’t think we will need them we have had two customer recommendations ,and repeat customer ,in six weeks we must be doing something right, doses this sound good for this time off year, I think what helped us a lot has been video testonmies and off course making sure the customer got a top job.