TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Oak Worktops

Hi all,

Just wanted to know what you guys used when finishing oak worktops. Just done a kitchen with new sanded tops and as per norm (well for me) I did my 3 coats of Tung oil (first coat of course thinned) I always apply with a polishing pad (was taught by a French polisher) and sanded in between coats with 320 – 400 Abranet.

Never had a problem doing it this way but not seen many others use Tung oil (well apart from my polishing mate) the company who supplied the tops just recommend a good vegetable oil !! but for me that doesn’t sound right.

So anyone here use Tung ??

Cheers

Neil

(Russ Pike) #2

Hi Neil,

I’ve been trained in French Polishing and have used Tung Oil in the past with some good results! It is best applied in several if not more coats, similar to how you would apply French Polish. Use figure of 8s and right to left applications, alternating between coats to achieve a beautiful satin finish! However, nowadays I tend to use this for worktop finishing:
http://www.osmouk.com/previewpage.cfm?bookid=book001&chapter=57&page=124

(M Dunn Decorating) #3

hello, hello, hello.

oh yes a bit of tung oil - lovelly. i do prefer osmo, like big boy says, or danish oil on worksurfaces.

but tung oil is naturally alkali resistant, thats why its the main resin in ARP, and water resistant, so its top stuff.

i have used it in the past on exterior oak windows again as it is the main resin in yacht / boat varnish but using the tung oil gives a less “brittle” coating.
but as we all know nothing is going to last on exterior oak - best to leave it grey - but keep up the maintance coatings and its a good coating to have in your shed.

so come on then who remembers being bored silly doing there c&g and learning about long and short oils???

(Andy Crichton) #4

Im a Patina fan, 2 thin coats applied by rag, on the glossy side. It is a polyurethane based gel, but seems to have overcome the adhesion short-comings of poly varnish. Tough as old boots.

This is for Mart, working on wooden boats came across Le Tonkinois, a long oil story short, it is tung oil / linseed oil varnish, brush applied, produces a clear finish that doesn’t create a film. Flexes like the proverbial, and out lasts Danish oil by a factor of a lot. An exotic alternative to keep in the locker http://www.letonkinoisvarnish.co.uk/VarSpecs.html

Thanks for the reply’s chaps!! good to see others liking a bit of Tung oil, thought it was just me, every body around here goes for Danish.

Like you Russ I was taught the joys of French Polishing, my best mate is a polisher with his own company, which I use to run for him for 3 months every year ( He’s a Kiwi and went home ever year for the summer ) so I find applying oil with a pad / rubber is a great way and gives the best finish but as you say it might take a coat or two extra, but well worth the effort.

Will look in to Osmo range and maybe I will give that a go.