TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Oil gilding kitchens

(mick downie) #1

evening TP members

mick is asking other fellow kitchen painters and traditional decorators if you have ever been asked to embelish and adorn kitchen units,cabinets, shell motifs, corbels,ect with gold leaf.or if any decorators on here are skilled in gilding.

gilding was something i have always wanted to learn,so just over a year ago i bought myself a gilders starter kit and with the aid of youtube and a bit of first hand knowledge…gave it a go.

to cut a long story short. i offer this service to clients. just to pick out certain highlights of kitchens and furniture. also plaster cove,cornich,ceiling roses. i will upload some pickys later. would also be interested in others comments.

nite

(Russ Pike) #2

Hiya Mick,

I have been known to don a gilders mop and skewings bag from time to time, mainly back in the 90s when I used to do a bit of sign writing. A few years ago I was involved with an Italian Lacquer manufacturer just outside of Venice in (Jesolo) and worked alongside a master furniture restorer, he was the personal restorer for Benetton and restored some fantastic pieces. A true craftsman and fantastic gilder.

Ive never done any gilding on kitchens, although I’d like to!

(mick downie) #3

thanks for the reply russ

(oldsalmo) #6

Gold leaf by its very nature is a bit soft and would not stand up to to much washing or abrasion , I would go for a caret about 18 but use a fast drying gold size as polymerisation in long oils take to long to harden underneath apply 1 coat of extra pale varnish this does affect the lustre but protect the gold this is the exact opposite to most other gilding where I would use 23 or 24 caret with long oil gold size the longer the better with no varnish . The first method was how sign writing to vehicles was carried out

(Aggie) #7

One shot do a 1 hour gold size which would be ideal. Do not use acrylic gold size, as this will not withstand repeated washing. Although…I have used acrylic externally, it seems to be fine as long as you don’t touch it!!

(Andy Crichton) #8

[quote]Quote from Aggie on August 24, 2013, 17:22
One shot do a 1 hour gold size which would be ideal. Do not use acrylic gold size, as this will not withstand repeated washing. Although…I have used acrylic externally, it seems to be fine as long as you don’t touch it!![/quote]

Thanks Aggie, you don’t get too much traffic on any of your gilded clocks. :slight_smile: