TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Orange peel on previously painted walls

(Dave) #1

Hi to all

I am loving my Deros with ACE abranet!! :grinning:

I am slowly sanding the walls in my bathroom with a mixture of 60 and 80 Grit. I thought they would be a bit heavy but they’re doing the job. There is bad orange peel on all 3 walls (other wall is tiled) and you can see that from the picture.
[URL=http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/GlawsterD/media/orange%20peel%20walls_zpsiotcjcyd.jpg.html]

[/URL]

I am assuming there is nothing I can do and must keep sanding until it is flat? I have Zinsser Perma-White (tinted silk grey by Rawlins) for the walls.

Thanks in advance

Dave

(dave D9 decor) #3

If the orange peel is so raised that it just won’t sand back, then it might be worth considering skimming over with say Toupret Skim or PlaneoG, but thats quite a bit extra to do, so hopefully the Deros will sort it!

(Dave) #4

Hi Dave

It is sanding back but it is proving harder work than I anticipated. No bother though, I am not on a deadline.

Thanks

Dave

(Andy Crichton) #5

Have you tried a finer grade when sanding, you might be surprised at say 120, finer can be faster, more teeth!

(Dave) #6

I did use 120 in other areas and it was fine, better even! Sadly some areas are proving more stubborn so I need a more aggressive approach. I think it is a result of poor preparation and painting prior to us owning this house.

(Dave) #7

The project is coming together nicely, I devised a square system on the walls and marked them for quick reference. 1-5 with 1 being easier and 5 being stubborn. My health allows me to work in short periods but I am enjoying it. The wall is smooth now but there are areas where patches show and I am worried them grinning through when I finally paint them.

I am using Zinsser Perma-white tinted silver grey but I am wondering if there a need to use a primer beneath it? I know it is self priming but it’s expensive and I am thinking about coverage.

Thanks

(Andy Crichton) #8

Do you mean patches of different colour or patches of different texture? If different texture, straight painting will likely emphasise those patches.

(Dave) #9

Hi Andy

Different colours but smooth enough. I have some areas of poor plaster showing through but I will skim/fill those with Toupret TX110

Dave

(Dave) #10

Hi Guys

I am in a quandary and I would appreciate some advice please. I am now 99% through the sanding but there is an area where the paint layers (2-3) started to peel away. It was an area that had previously bubbled in a small patch for no apparent reason. When I peeled it off I could see some newer plaster underneath. I can only assume there was something in that plaster mix causing an issue.

As I progressed the area became larger and you can see from the photo the overall size. That is a standard flush box below it.

Do I fill it or should I use a filler paint, perhaps aerosol? I have Toupret TX110 but am yet to use it. After all my hard work I don’t want to spoil this bit!

Thanks

Dave

(Dave) #11

Hi

I am wondering which roller to use for painting these walls? I have sanded, filled, sanded, filled and the surface is now smooth and ready to paint. I want to get a flat finish using Perma-White so should I consider a microfibre roller sleeve or will a 1/2" nap Purdy be okay?

Thanks

Dave

(darlic) #12

Wooster pro dooze,and if you do a lot off painting there’s a write up on here about them buy the kit recommended and you never look back.cheers

(Andy Crichton) #13

Smooth finish is a function of the roller sleeve and the paint consistency. To cover your bases, do a test area with your proposed sleeve, and see how that works for you. You will see quickly what the effect is going to be and adjust accordingly.

For instance a super short pile micro plush sleeve will contribute the least to orange peel effect, but will be the slowest for application. On a small / one off room, the speed difference is not really relevant. On Jack Paul site he explained how he applied with a long pile sleeve for speed and a colleague followed behind laying it off with a short pile. Plenty of variables to try.

(Dave) #14

Andy

I have just finished performing a test exactly as you suggested Andy! The Purdy 1/2" is not suitable for what I want but I can lay off using a microfibre short pile roller. I had to use a mini version which is for my woodwork but it gives the desired finish.

The Wooster Pro doo-z looks good, any other recommendations?

Dave

(Martin Guest) #15

Alternatively, you could lay off with a 180mm Spalter brush!?!?!?

http://www.nonpaintstore.nl/en/gereedschap/brushes/platte-kwasten/omega-0463-spalter-red-silk-met-inox-bus.html

(Dave) #16

I was looking at laying off brushes after Martin’s recommendation. I read about the Wooster Flawless but boy what a cost at £20. How do the Fox Light and Premium perform? I have heard good things about Fox brushes.

What do you recommend?

Cheers

Dave

(Martin Guest) #17

Dave, the vast majority of laying off brushes currently available on the UK Market are really intended for use on trim and “smaller” areas; doors etc. The reason that I included the link on my previous message was that the Spalter brush is a whopping 180mm and could handle walls and ceilings with ease… the Fox and the Hamilton range doesn’t compete with this size, currently - although, if there was enough interest, I’d be happy at looking a larger Fox version??? just don’t hold your breath.

(Dave) #18

I have used an Arroworthy 9" sleeve with a 1/4" pile. It has given me a good finish, one that I am more than happy with.