TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Paint matt emulsion over silk emulsion?

(darlic) #1

The project i am doing i want to change the silk paint on ceiling which is artex with silk painted on top,i want to change to Matt,being the surface has a slight sheen,will the Matt stick, what would be the best professional approach :stuck_out_tongue: to this.

(Andy Crichton) #2

Clean off any obvious marks or “stuff”

For no thinking required: 1 or 2 coats of water-based problem-solving primer - for instance Mythic or Blackfriars. High adhesion, stain blocking if needed. To be accurate, it is not a dead matt finish, just a very nice white. It isn’t the cheap material option.

Do a small sample to check if the final sheen of the primer is OK for you. If the primer is too sheeny for your liking, one good primer and one good coat of white matt over the primer will work.

(darlic) #3

To clean off ceiling would krudcutter do,or pre spot marks with sugur soap,then use the wooster dust buster.

(dave D9 decor) #4

also worth considering Zinsser All Coat - primer and top coat…

(RJ Taylor Decoration Ltd) #5

I would think any good quality acrylic matt paint would stick. Even vinyl matt should after a good sanding.

(darlic) #6

the only problem its an artex ceiling with pattern so difficult to sand or not.

(Dan Kelly) #7

[quote]Quote from RJ Taylor Decoration on December 18, 2013, 19:13
I would think any good quality acrylic matt paint would stick. Even vinyl matt should after a good sanding.

I agree with RJ, never had a problem with matt over silk, just sand it lightly if possible.
If it’s a kitchen ceiling make sure that it’s clean from grease, ect.

[/quote]

(darlic) #8

I no this sounds stupid question how can you sand artex ceiling with a pattern,probably, best to use krudcutter if i am correct,dust off with the wooster Dustbuster my favorite tool.

(Dan Kelly) #9

If you can’t sand it cos of the pattern then just clean it down.