TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Painter in Bournemouth

(Andrew Blackburn) #1

Hello,
My name is Andy and I live near Bournemouth. I’ve been in the building industry for over 20 years then started my own painting and decorating business in 2014.
With over 20 years decorating experience I’ve worked on many home improvement projects of my own, for family, friends and now for many satisfied customers. Most of my work so far has been house painting; inside walls, woodwork, and some exterior windows.
I joined this forum because I was so impressed with the main websites, willingness to try and help others by sharing their experiences with everyone. I love what I do and I’m always looking to improve my knowledge and technique.
AndyB

(darlic) #2

Look forward to reading your posts.

(Andy Crichton) #3

Good to see you here.

If you have a question, please use the search feature as your first port of call and if we haven’t provided a good enough answer to your question, ask away :smile:

(Andrew Blackburn) #4

January was good, first time at putting down waterborne’s on trim. Customer asked for low odour paints. I went with dulux quick dry satin and bullseye 123 as these are brands I’ve used before. I was though concerned with the satin not sticking to the old stuff. The skirting had 1 bullseye and 1 satin, the panel doors 1 bullseye and 2 satin. I did try out just satin on the back of some cupboard panel doors after a 120 rub and vacuum followed by a good scrub and rinse of sugar soap. I checked the paint 48 hrs later and it seemed to of adhered very well. I managed to keep a wet edge through out the job using a corona archer 1.5 and a 4 inch short Hamilton roller from screwfix. I was happy with the finish, no lines on the doors and the trim wasn’t too grainy(I kept the heating down) Most of all the customer was happy with the finish. I hope it lasts!

A big thank you to TP for your expertise and advice!
I’m a happy chappy :grinning:

(Andy Crichton) #5

Good to hear you getting on well with water based woodwork paint. No stopping you now.

One point to consider:

a 120 rub and vacuum followed by a good scrub and rinse of sugar soap

I don’t know the circumstances, but generally we would clean first before any sanding.

(Andrew Blackburn) #6

Can you explain why you clean first and would you clean off again after sanding/dust removal ?
Thanks

(Andy Crichton) #7

Grease and muck on the surface would likely clog up abrasives. Remove contaminants first and you have a clean run at the last painted surface.

If you sand first, you will probably engrain any dirt, which makes after-cleaning harder or less effective?

Clean, sand, vacuum, wipe over with tack rag seems to work out most thorough with least thinking.

If it were a particularly greasy surface, wiping with meths wouldn’t hurt after sanding.

(Andrew Blackburn) #8

I’m learning
Thanks Andy :+1: