TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Painting a slate window sill?

(Dave) #1

Because the bathroom was busy today I decided to remove the paint from the window sill on the landing. It has always looked awful and I have never done anything with it until now!

The previous paint was bubbled, uneven…it was bloody awful to put it mild. I started out with the Deros as per the first picture. It was layer upon layer of paint and I soon realised a knife would be better. I used a Purdy multi tool and managed to scrape off most of it. The bottom layer was like a resin, it reminded me of my dear old Nan’s furniture and the smell took me back 40 years! Anyway, I scraped off the resin as best I could and could not believe my eyes. The sill was a block of slate! I put a 180 grit on the Deros and smoothed it off.

It would be lovely natural but it is not looking that great. Is there a way to either paint it or perhaps a polish I can use to improve the finish?

Cheers

Dave

(Andy Crichton) #2

That was a good discovery.

I am assuming the photo is showing remnants of paint still?

The overall process I would consider - use a gentle paint stripper and an abrasive pad (not steel wool) to try get all the paint out any imperfections. A brass (as opposed to a wire) brush is helpful for getting in cracks.

Once back to slate, vacuum the surface, and to make sure it is clean, a final spritz of soapy water and wipe off with a sponge.

You could leave it as is, use a coaster or mat if anything is going to be stood on the cill.

Or protect it and enhance the colour with something like HG polish which is satin.

I have used linseed oil but the purpose made sealer won’t attract dust. Older ways aren’t always the best!

(Dave) #3

Andy

There is some paint but some of the image is light coming through the window. I am going to discuss it with the wife, she is keen to leave it natural looking so I may consider a polish.

Thanks

Dave