TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Painting room in two colours

(darlic) #1

I am painting a room in two colours,write,how long can i leave paint to dry,on wall edge that has been painted to apply delicate tape,so i can get a nice straight line,for the next colour,would four hours be ok or longer needed. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

(dave D9 decor) #2

best way to paint a straight line is to create one - bead of caulk and allow to dry.

then use best cutting in brush (mine would be a picasso)and freehand it

I had advice from an old deccie years ago to paint dark colour first then paint the final line in the pale colour, Don’t know why but it seems to work!

(darlic) #3

Don’t understand am i stupid,are you saying go down the corner off wall with caulk allow to dry then use it as a line.

(Oisin) #4

The caulk will help to give you a more even line. Unless the corner is in mint condition a little caulk can help. Painters always free hand a straight line with a good quality brush. If you feel happier using tape then use a low tack tape and give your wall at least 4 hours to dry

(Andy Crichton) #5

Picasso free hand takes some beating, also if you can roll really tight to an edge, cutting in with a Silver Tip or a similar skinny stock angle brush may be a more relaxed intro to tight cutting in.

When taping, and you are pushing envelopes of drying times, you dont need to stick say the whole width of 1" tape down. You can carefully run a finger just pressing down the side of the tape where the painted line is going and let the rest of the tape curl up a bit. Go very skinny on the paint down the join, let it tack off and then remove tape gently, angling away at 45 degrees as you go.

Softly softly, don’t hold one end of the tape and pull 10 feet of tape off from where you are stood! Just keep moving your grip so you are never more than a few inches from where the tape is stuck.

(greenpainting) #6

And bare in mind masking tape stretches and distorts if you’re not careful when you put it on. You can end up with an even more wobbly line using tape than if you do it freehand.

(Andy Crichton) #7

Every pro and home decorator needs a masking tape dispenser or two in their kit bag for general use. Fast and controlled. And use up a roll before opening another, unless you like throwing money away and/or clogging up the place with half used rolls of tape.

(Oisin) #8

[quote]Quote from Andy Crichton on March 28, 2014, 08:40
Every pro and home decorator needs a masking tape dispenser or two in their kit bag for general use. Fast and controlled. And use up a roll before opening another, unless you like throwing money away and/or clogging up the place with half used rolls of tape.[/quote]

I need a new one of these! Very handy piece of kit.

(darlic) #9

Hi Andy how long would you leave paint to dry before applying tape,cheers.

(andybury) #10

Were do you get a 3M tape dispenser? Can’t find the TA-20 anywhere or is there an alternative.

Found one on eBay @oisin & @andybury

(andybury) #12

Brilliant thanks. I looked on eBay but not hard enough.
Cheers Andy

Admittedly its the only one on eBay unless you want to buy from USA :wink:

(andybury) #14

Thanks Again. Might be good to put a post on the forum about really useful tools. It was after reading this forum I invested in the Mirka dustless sanding system and its totally revolutionised the way I work.

Have a look at the Festool RTS 400 from your trim work, another essential bit of kit.

(andybury) #16

Is this the one
Is this the one? what does the Q stand for?

Thats the kiddie!
Right are you listening carefully as I shall say this only once :wink:
There are 4 variants of the RTS! The Q, Q Plus, EQ & EQ Plus. The Q is the standard machine in a cardboard box, the EQ is the vari-speed and the Plus comes in the systainer storage box. So this is the one I would recommend http://www.powertool-supplies.co.uk/festool-orbital-sander-rts-400-eq-plus-gb-110v.html

Incidentally this is the cheapest website I have found.

I don’t know if you have bought the Mirka extractor or not, you will have to get a connector to fit. If you haven’t got one yet I would recommend the Festool CTL Mini as you can clip the systainer to it for easy transport and storage. For me personally the Mirka extractor is too big and bulky and the Festo is more compact and rectangular in shape so fits in the van easily.

(andybury) #18

Thanks Tony, Ordered one.
Andy