TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Polished Plaster / Venetian Plaster - Black like Italian Slate

(Amateurhour64) #1

Afternoon all, been a while but the renovation continues with a lot more of the same.

However a new one for me I’m hoping you can help with. Was going to put in a Slate fireplace behind an Oak mantle piece. But struggling to justify the cost of having it custom cut. I read about Black Polished Plaster but have never done it.

Wandering if any of you have done this, how achievable it might be and if it’s worth the effort?

Also what products/paints/tools might I need to have a crack at this? Am hoping build the hearth, sides and back area of the fireplace inset.

Appreciate any guidance as always … TP being my ‘go-to’ resource. All the best AH64

(Amateurhour64) #2

As always, the moment you post, you find an article!!! :slight_smile:

Andy hi, trying take a look at this but for some reason the pics are not showing for me … is it my end or can you repost it maybe? Looks like might be the sort of resource I need be looking at.

Cheers

Hi amateurhour64
This is one I might be able to help with. I am trained as a Venetian plasterer and would be able to point in the right direction.
Good Venetian finish is a 3/4 coat system, not including primer or a wax finish. Choose natural products and not the synthetic copy. Natural is made up of lime and marble dust combined and slagged. Covering small areas with the material is a challenge but possible.
The smallest amount of plaster that can be bought is 8kgs of base and 8kgs of a finish at £59.95 each. Colourant is an extra cost as is wax and primer.
Anyway, process and any other information, Im happy to share but fear that it will take up to much space - if you want I can email or at least point in direction of a supplier in the UK. Below is a you tube link of an applicator who does a very tidy job, although I do realise that you were not looking to cover such a large area. The trowel work is the process that is taught to new applicators and provides the simplest of patterns. Creativity and confidence to take on trial and error, will potentially take an applicator into some amazing results.

(Amateurhour64) #4

Hi Howzz and many thanks for coming back to me … apologies to be late on reply.

Yes materials sound expensive … I feared they might be but have to say, all the ‘upgraded’ product that I’ve invested in (as a result of TP’er’s advice over the years) I’ve not regretted one bit. Quite the reverse … finding all these super products and paints is like having had Aldi and Tesco steak for years (no issue with that) but then having a Thomahawk steak at Wolfgang Pucks place on Park Lane. Is it expensive. … sure as *** it is, is it better, damn right it is … by quite a huge factor. :slight_smile: … and so it goes with this stuff.

Possible to list a few examples (names/sizes/makes etc) of each of the 3/4 coats? And maybe some links? Or as you say a supplier you can recommend?

As for process, Certainly for me it would in no way take up too much space and I very much doubt for the TP folk on here. That’s why we all come hear, to listen to folks who genuinely know their stuff and are happy to share in a way that makes us amateur confident to dip a toe.

Although the target area we are looking at doing is relatively small, these things have a habit of growing!!! So whatever I can master here, I have zero doubt will grow into other areas … I was relatively happy with my paint finishes prior to 2013 and finding TP before learning the ‘dark ways’ of Kodrin Spachtel or Presonett Joint Filler and decent paints … the likes of which I’d never heard of!!!_:slight_smile:

So please share as much ‘step by’ data as you have the time to spare. Or if you have any links to ‘step by’ articles or videos (such as the one you kindly sent) they are in no way wasted. Even though I have mastered some of the ‘No.10 door finish’ and ‘flat wall plaster polishing’ and done a huge number of rooms here, I still refer to those same articles to remind the best way to do on a regular basis. Absolutely invaluable. Would be great if you could do the same here. I have found an article done by another Tp’er but the photos don’t show unfortunately.

Appreciate you taking the time to steer me the right direction. Look forward to hearing from you