TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Question for Martin Dunn

(DavidJ) #1

Hello Martin, just seen your beautiful Staffordshire restoration. I was wondering - did you have a problem with the gradually rising pattern of that owl wallpaper?

I hung the same paper for a lady earlier this year. Even though I explained the issue to her before hanging it, she was disappointed that the pattern wasn’t level. To the extent that she suggested rehanging it at an angle so it would be.

Just wondering if you had any similar issue?

Thanks,

David

(M Dunn Decorating) #2

Hello.
Its been a while since I hung that as it was the first room completed on the house, Ruth just couldn’t wait,

Now then which owl wallpaper did you hang? I ask this as Harlequin do a very similar one to the one we hung. I have a feeling this was just a cheap B&Q paper Ruth fell in love with.

Not sure if it was a drop without a side match (if that makes sense) but from what your saying have you tried running an horizontal level line from a datum point?
So for example pick an owl on your first drop then run a pencil. lazer or chalk line from that datum point horizontal across the wall. You now have a true level horizontally for your pattern.

As long as your first length is vertically true, you shouldn’t have a problem. The ceiling line may run out a tad - if its really bad you need to discuss with your client that a patterned paper like that one is not suitable.
Un true corners can be adjusted with the paper slightly so that it looks good to the eye ( sometimes a crafty bit of colouring in or cut out an owl from a spare piece of paper helps), but obviously re - plumb as you come out.

Hope this helps

(DavidJ) #3

Hi Martin,

Oh, it was definitely the B&Q one! Recognised it straight away.

There was a side match, but only with every other branch, oddly. Also strange was that the pattern, ie the branch, rose 15mm across each drop of paper. Take that across a room and you can imagine.

I take it your suggestion was only if there was no side match with the paper? So really, the only option would be to position the first drop between the branches so as to minimise any “owl loss” into the ceiling?

Just doesn’t make sense that someone would design a wallpaper like that. Saying that, given the price of each roll, about £9 if I remember, it wasn’t actually that bad to hang (I was expecting worse).

While you’re reading, can I ask if you’ve come across “third drop” paper? I did once, though I’d never heard of it before. It looked okay hung to the customers eye, but not quite right to mine. I just couldn’t work out the right method for centring it. Any pointers?

Thanks,

David