TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Spray paint a wooden kitchen in Cheadle

(Andy Crichton) #1

Originally published at: https://traditionalpainter.com/spray-paint-a-wooden-kitchen-in-cheadle

Traditional Painter Scot Hindley took an enquiry to spray paint a wooden kitchen in Cheadle. Emails were sent back and forth and it became apparent that the client wanted him to respray rather than hand paint the finish. Scot is an expert paint sprayer, and over a couple of visits he discussed the processes and procedures, timings and a start date. Before As you can see from the photograph, the…
What do you think?

(Andy Crichton) #2

What are the better masking films around on the market at the moment?

(darlic) #3

Hi Andy i have a 3m hand masker/film paper dispenser there very good.

(Andy Crichton) #4

have you got a picture of it? 3m do a few products!

(darlic) #5

yes and will post later this evening.

(darlic) #6

if you want a photo at different angles i can do it for you?let me no, its a good bit of kit

Trust that this thought is not out of place. If I had a preference between marble plaster and paint, I would choose the plaster every time. However, it’s hard to sell marble plaster to a British market. People, I perceive, feel safer and familiar with tiles and light-coloured paint. It would, I think, be sad if domestic spraying also struggled to break through in the British domestic market. Recently, I had the pleasure of spending time with a Graco rep, who was telling me that on the continent, paint spraying represents 60% of paint application. In this country its 30%. I understand that Graco see a possible market here and are doing what they can to promote spraying. Possible spray opportunities ahead - an emerging market, I hope
Anyway, excellent job on the kitchen and a big thanks to Graco.

(Andy Crichton) #8

Not out of place, good observations, thanks.

One observation I heard, and concur with, is that the main place to find spraying info in the UK is mainly behind closed trade doors (closed FaceBook groups and private forums.)

In my view, if it stays that way, spraying will take an age to hit 60% in the UK.

It is simple logic really.

It doesn’t matter how well equipped a painter is, at the end of the day it is the public who pay the bills and potential customers who know little to nothing about spraying are less inclined to change their chip and have their decorator spray everything.

eg If a painter suggests marble plaster or spraying to a client and the client doesn’t really know what is feasible, how can they read around the subject if

a) they can’t access closed FaceBook trade groups where lots of good info is hiding, and

b) because all the sprayers are on FB and not blogging, there is little free-to-access info to find via google. Without info, the public will not be able to frame their decision.

I can say this based on what I have observed since 2009 with kitchen painting, where I took a completely open book approach, shared everything we know via blogs and Google and here we are.

There is a lot of easily accessible spraying info on TP, and take up seems to follow the same pattern as when we were sharing kitchen painting info before it was popular - a slow but steady rise in interest that just keeps accelerating.

I’m sure the likes of Graco have far more resources than us to get spraying info out there in the public domain!

(darlic) #9

The best resource I found is jack pauhl, I know you pay to be a member ,but its worth every penny.

I appreciate your reply Andy.
Could you ever envisage a day when spraying dominates the market and do you spray a lot in domestic work?

(Andy Crichton) #11

Spraying is really one of several options for applying paint, but has been rarely considered viable in the private UK decorating trade, least not till the last few years.

In some residences with wide open spaces, it makes sense to spray walls and ceilings. On new woodwork, spraying is an option that is growing in popularity, especially stairways. On refurbished kitchens there is a noticeable uptake in sprayed primer coats. Slowly slowly, sprayed acrylic enamel finishes on kitchens are growing, but that requires a high skill level. There is even slower uptake of commercial spray-only finishes on site.

I feel that the US is usually the trend setter for the UK rather than Europe, and spraying is huge there. But the size of properties in the UK is of course nowhere near the scale of an average US home and I believe UK property is about 30% smaller than a Euro equivalent. So I don’t know how far spraying uptake will go in the UK on that size basis and limitation. Maybe UK painters will become world leaders in masking up! ?

It is a really good skill to have, and the more skilled up the painter work force is, the better for the trade and the customers.

Hopefully any widespread adoption of spraying will go hand-in-hand with a rise in business skills too. The obvious scenario is a flood of painters invested up to the eyeballs in new spray kit, doing well to start, then competition moves in on ever tighter prices. With no clue of how to differentiate themselves apart from price, a lot of businesses will likely wake up one day realising they are on a full swing race to the bottom, working to pay off loans or maintaining their kit.

In other words, the spraying trend is a chance to get to grips with the idea that spraying is part of a high value decorating service, not just a cheap and cheerful way to spray a lot of paint.