TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Spray v roller for interior rooms

(darlic) #1

Need some sound advice ,got speaking to a builder, he uses a painter to spray houses ,now this is all new plaster, he said the guy can do a small detached house in a day ,I specialize in interior rooms and use rollers, when you take into account spraying the time taping up and protecting everything from overspray,whats the time difference is it something we all need to look into, or stick to my reliable Wooster rollers big ,and big ben tray. What will the end result look like, if you spray the walls ,you will have to spray the doors, most important, myself I would prefer someone using a roller, who wants spray flying around your house, what would customers feedback be, and most important why are so many decorators using rollers still.

(Andy Crichton) #2

If you have a free run at an empty property, spraying is certainly a very good option. If you have run the numbers, you should be able to look at a particular job and work out which approach will work out best, spray or brush and roll.

The smaller the room, the more colour changes, the more finishes you have to apply, the more likely you will probably veer towards conventional painting.

If you read around, there is an investment to be made in spraying, not just money but a lot of time and a change of mental chip too, if you have been exclusively brush and rolling since day one. This adjustment away from the comfort zone is probably the hardest part.

The PaintTech guys have been determined to make spraying work in the scenario you are talking. I bet it hasn’t been an easy journey, but it seems to be paying off for them and they are to be applauded for opening closed minds and eyes.

Having said that, if you look online in the UK, there seems to be a lot of initial enthusiasm for spraying, (get myself a super airless rig, man, and it is money in the bank.) Once the pound signs stop flashing and the idea of spraying hundreds of square metres a day morphs into reality, over time, spray rigs seem to come back up for sale.

Do you have to spray woodwork if you spray walls? A spray unit is “just” another method of application, there are good choices and bad, depending on each job. In domestic scenarios, spraying can be a very viable option on woodwork. It can also be a time consuming option, and may upset your client, as they see their room filling up with overspray and realise that the painter didn’t mask enough!

Ron Taylor’s articles shed a lot of light on the journey into spraying.

(RJ Taylor Decoration Ltd) #3

Spray painting is fast but it isn’t suited to smaller jobs.

If you have a new build or empty house to paint then thats great, especially if the ceiling and walls are the same colour. But multiple colours on ceilings and walls in different rooms make it a more difficult proposition. The amount of masking can take longer and cost more than cutting and rolling the room.

Spraying ceilings and walls in occupied houses is a logistical nightmare and should only be attempted if you are confident with the equipment and masking techniques.

(greenpainting) #4

Spraying also takes all the fun out of painting - there’s something therapeutic about working with a brush.

(darlic) #5

Hi folks I need to find something I can tape to a wall and spray on for practise whats best,lining paper cardboard extra?