TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Sticky back plastic residue

(vicky) #1

I have bought a huge pitch pine Housekeepers Cupboard to paint and use. It has been gloss varnished very dark brown and inside, the shelves and cupboard backs have ancient, brittle sticky-back plastic except where it’s been removed and left a very sticky residue. Having heard so much about Annie Sloan paint and its ability to cover anything, I have started the outside in that. I really dislike using it as it is so un-viscous, and it covers so badly, but having started (3 coats and not looking great) I’ll have to finish! The inside is seriously daunting… It is so big and awkward and sticky and…and… I’d love some advice on how best to tackle it. Should I switch to an acrylic paint? Should I prep first with TCP/TSP/TPS? (can’t remember what it’s called). Can I use chalk paint straight over the plastic and the sticky residue? Any advice on a quickish good-enough solution (I’ve abandoned perfection) gratefully appreciated!

(darlic) #2

I would remove the sticky residue,this can be done with a good adhesive remover,it will come off,if
you leave good contact time,and plastic filling,blade, and cloth.cheers Jason.

(Andy Crichton) #3

Hi

have you tried diluting the chalk paint just a touch? Of all the criticisms of chalk paint, coverage is not really one of them. A firm synthetic brush, (Wooster FTP or Fox) nice flow and pretty much one coat should get you most of the way there.

Do you have a photo of the plastic backed area so we can have a look and a think? Are the shelves removable so you have room to work?

thanks

(Chris Graham) #4

Then sticky adhesive can be removed easily with white spirit and a cloth or green scourer, always works for me on areas like that.

(darlic) #5

A handy bottle to keep in your decorating box Autoglym tar glue remover,execllent.

(vicky) #6

Hi Andy, did my reply come through? I sent it from my phone with some photos but it hasn’t shown up here. Thanks, Vicky

(Andy Crichton) #7

It was in my email, here are the images)