TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Toupret TX 130

(Andy Crichton) #1

Toupret TX130 fine surface wall filler comes ready mixed in 20kg tubs, and is excellent for skimming plastered walls that have been damaged, dinged or badly patched in.

The mix is just right out of the tub, to apply with a caulking blade - runny enough to spread easily, stodgy enough to fill dings and not shrink back. Applying thin layers it sets quickly enough so that you can keep on applying layers, till you have the surface just right. In normal temperatures, it dries ready for next day sanding and decorating.

With Toupret skim coats, and abranet abrasives, I can achieve a super smooth surface, and the paint finish is far superior to what it is possible on conventional gypsum based plaster walls.

I find it also takes less time and paint (and therefore money) to decorate a Toupret skimmed surface versus a newly plastered surface.

What are your experiences? Does it make sense for decorators to skim and sand, or is there still a place for calling in a plasterer to “do it right first time” but wait at least a day or two longer for the plaster to dry?

(Russ Pike) #2

I generally use the Gyproc joint cement (Aims) orange lid as well as the Toupret TX130. In warmer weather I will use a trigger bottle sprayer to lightly dampen the surface and blade off with my Marshalltown (Gallon) 6" joint knife.

However I would still call in the spreader if the underlying substrate was suspect or the ceiling boards were bowed.

(Charles Budd) #3

I’ve used both TX130 and TX120 - and I like both (TX130 more though). They are easy to use, and using the Mirka Ceros, you can get a lovely finish with them. One issue I have with them is smell - definitely the TX120 (I can’t remember the TX130 smell, I used it some time ago). I think both of them are fine for skimming a surface that’s already quite flat, but with a lot of dings in it, but not useful for getting a surface flat - for that I’d call in a plasterer.

I skimmed my bathroom ceiling with TX120 - instead of getting a plasterer in. It took a few applications, and I had problems with tiny bubbles, but in the end I got a lovely flat finish.