TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Treatment for oak door

(mick downie) #1

EVENING

need some advice on oiling a year old solid oak front door. I realise there are various products out there but need a quality one.

The door was fitted by a carpenter and he varnished it. The door has weathered, blistered looks a right state, so I was going to sand back to bare timber, then apply a 2 part micro-porous IMPRANOL finish.

Has any decorator used this product??? or what about an OSMO oil??? any suggestions. cheers mick

(J G Mason Decorator) #2

Osmo uv protection oil is good, suitable for exterior and leaves a very natural looking finish and easy to maintain. Must have been a poor quality varnish, as you say sand back to bare timber and start again.

(Andy Crichton) #3

Picking up on the reference to poor varnishing. From boat painting, I learnt that unless you are going to do minimum 8 coats, it is not worth clear varnishing exterior woodwork. The quality of the varnish obviously plays a role, but 2 or 3 coats of the best varnish isn’t going to hold out too well. A product called Coelan only needs 5 coats, but cost me over $100 a metre sq. and works with a tinted basecoat.

Alternatives mentioned above are more practical bets for residential work in the battle against the sun!

(Welsh D) #4

A finish that bears a look at, would be Holkham Linseed Oil wax.

It is a mixture of Linseed Oil and Beeswax, there is a little pigment added, but there are no nasties in it, and it smells great!
It can also be used for internal work, like floors or furniture.

(Gary Coniam) #5

Just to add in here that when removing the previously coated varnishes, paints, stains etc. there is no need to use all of that elbow grease when on external timber you can use Dilunett on vertical surfaces and Prepdeck on horizontal ones. Simple to apply and effective within 30 minutes. Neutralise the surface with Net-trol and job done.

For weathered Oak (or any external timber) then Textrol is a highly reputed solution which is used in many varying applications.

All information can be found at www.owatroluk.com

Here to help.

Regards

Gary

(dave D9 decor) #6

I’ve always had good results from Osmo oil - definately avoid acrylic varnishes for exterior work!
dave d9 decor