TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Wallpaper and lining rates

(chris911) #1

How do you guys price wallpapering ?I have two rolls of £90 skint by today’s interiors to hang on a previously vinyl matt finished wall.
Would you guys always line or just size and paper?
How much to line also?
Cheers guys

(Craig Brooks P & D) #2

I charge £30 a roll to hang + materials. Just found it easier when I get a call to price a feature wall - saves wasted time viewing loads of little jobs.

Don’t generally line unless walls need it.

(harborough_decorator) #3

Hi Craig
At £90 per roll I would recommend lining the walls in fact we all ways line walls, if you don’t line you may find that the paste gets absorbed by the emulsion and your paper dries to quick leaving open joints. ( not what you want at £90 per roll
I would also recommend to use ready mixed tub paste
Cost Lining paper you should be able to hang at least 2rolls in the 1 hr
Standard wallpaper I always allow 1.5hr per roll to hang

(Craig Brooks P & D) #4

Hung all kinds of papers from £5 cheap wilko to £130 a roll, but never had any issues with a properly sealed wall. Never line anything unless the walls are bad

(Zen) #5

I would line for a paper of that valie, and cover my ass in the price. Read the instructions on the paper, most recomend that you line. If you disregard those instructions you take the risk. Remember that if you mess up at all, you are liable to replace the paper.
Many expensive papers recommend Traditionally prepared starch based Tub paste. Always read the label!
Price to take time and care with it. It depends on the local market rate, down here in the affluent south, £200 a day is fair. There are few skilled paper hangers around these days, so someone who has many years experience is worth their money.

(Martin Guest) #6

My system; Sand walls with my dust-free system. Seal walls with Zinsser Gardz walls prior to lining - always cross-line with at least 1400 grade… remember if you are using tub paste to line, always use tub paste for the fine paper (flake and tub tend to “react” with each other and will end up failing)… I tend to use green lid (wheat paste) for fine papers. This system I have used for hand trimmed papers as expensive as £400 for half roll (Pierre Frey) and haven’t had a problem.

Pricing; for a very fine paper, I would always double what your gut initially told you…

Sorry if this is teaching you how to suck eggs!?!?!?

All the best

(bitzz) #7

Have to agree with Martin here, whatever the paper I always crossline first, depending how bad the walls are originally i would use a minimum of 1200 grade but most walls are done with 1400.
As with the paste do not mix the two types flake or tub as they are different strengths and will pull against each other.

(chris911) #8

I always had the feeling and feedback that most customers wouldn’t want to pay that added extra to line walls aswell as paper.probably just me.response is much appreciated

(Martin Guest) #9

This is one of those classic instances that shape what sort of Decorator you are - personally speaking, I prefer to be governed by what I know to be best practice… it is often easy for a customer/client to dictate what THEY want YOU to do - this can often be the wrong way to do a job or perform a task, too often there is a “just” in the sentence…

If the job that you have been requested to perform needs you to perform a task, in order for it to be the best possible finish that you can produce, then it is your duty to point this out to your client and to tell them that if this isn’t undertaken it will not be to the required standard that YOU work to and therefore the longevity of finish will be in question. (cue for you to walk away…)

I firmly believe that walls should ALWAYS be prepared, sealed and cross-lined!

When you look at a project that hasn’t been lined and one that has, it is completely apparent to the finish of the project… additionally, it is often the case that it is for the benefit of your clients (in money terms) not to line and it will in the long run turn out to be a more difficult project for you to perform (butt joints creeping, poor adhesion, etc).) ultimately, costing you in money, time and stress!

Hope that this helps

(chris911) #10

Hi cheers for the reply martin I totally agree that you should prepare,size and line to the best of the decorators ability before papering,I just think a lot of the time it’s hard for the customer to understand that extra cost after watching that 60 minute makeover programme.thanks interesting discussion

(dave D9 decor) #11

totally agree with Martin on this - it’s about offering clients best practice not a shortcut - always thoroughly prep, seal, line (I use Albany paste the wall lining for time saving) and then hang. Most quality papers will state to line the walls on the instructions, so why ignore that?
Not to line is akin to not undercoating or laying carpet without underlay.
£180-£220 a day for paperhanging

(chris911) #12

Would you still cross line at low level Joe blogs house decorating I’m just wondering if they would pay for it thanks

(dave D9 decor) #13

Hi Chris - my short answer is ‘yes’!

reasons are many - probably best explained by Colour Republic on this forum some years back summarised as:

• lining paper resists shrinkage of finish paper
  • lining paper provides a stronger bond for finish paper (like velcro)
  • lining paper encourages any staining to be drawn out of the wall before finish paper is hung
  • lining provides uniform porosity for finish paper to be hung
    its a similar principle to applying primer/undercoat for egg/satin/gloss

in answer to your question whether client would pay…well, never assume that they will or won’t! Martin put it well in his first two paragraphs and I agree 100% with him - quote and spec for a job to be properly and priced accordingly. Then its up to the client to decide if they want your service or not!
And of course when we carry out work its not just the client who will be viewing our work - hopefully their friends and family will see it too and decide whether we’ve done a job to a standard, or the lowest price and whether to book us for more work or not!

best , Dave

(Andy Crichton) #14

I agree with the sentiment that lining is part of a basic spec unless there is a very good reason not to.

Another way of pricing wallpaper - think about relating the cost of the paper to the rate charged for hanging. ie up to say £50 cost of a roll, charge a standard rate and after that charge the cost of the roll.

(chris911) #15

Thanks guys so what are the general cross lining rates to add to the cost of papering rates.very interesting debate.

(Paul C Barber) #16

I tend to think along the same lines as Andy, with a standard print Wallcovering I would look at the job and work out a ballpark amount per roll.
£50-£100 depending on the cost per roll, anything over a £100 would be like for like , if you are hanging hand prints or fabrics you really need to be hanging on a very good day rate, your not going to be wanting to rush the work.

(dave D9 decor) #17

In response to Chris911 question re cross lining rates:
I don’t break down the cost to the client - I give a fixed price to hang paper as one total, which is to prep walls, prime, cross line and then hang finish paper.

Walls need prepping and priming anyway so to include cross lining would be say half a day for a 12x12 room with one window, one door and say three sockets. Note: I use Albany paste the wall Fibre Lining which seriously saves time from cutting each length, pasting over a table, allowing to soak etc! £5 a roll.

to price a wallpaper job has a number of factors to affect price

1. the pattern - paste the wall stripes or paste the wall digital prints (Mr.Perswall/Rebel Yell etc) will fly up, a more intricate pattern (allow time for setting out before cutting) maybe more. Has anyone hung the F&B "Amime’ or "lattice’ patterns(!) I got lost several times losing the repeat! its a much slower process and needs to be factored in at time of quote
  2. paste the wall paper will go up significantly quicker than say a 10 min soak time
  3. the room: how many sockets, how many window reveals, is there a fireplace to trim around etc are all factors to consider beyond a fixed price per roll
    Having said all that I would gladly hang paper all day rather than paint!