TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Wet sanding?

(Holty) #1

Hello chaps,

I have read about sanding wet between coats and using wet & dry for sanding and wondered if you actually use water? Or is it just a name for a certain type of abrasive? If this is some sort of special sanding technique could someone please enlighten me as to the benefits of this approach and when it would be best employed.

Many thanks.

(greenpainting) #2

Use wet & dry and yes - with water. It means you are sanding without getting dust everywhere although it can get a bit mucky and your wood will need a good wash down when you’re finished.

(Holty) #3

So keeping the dust down is the key benefit. There is no situation where this would be better than using the dust free sanders?

(greenpainting) #4

Yes and no. You end up working with a bit of a paste so in some ways you can get a nice smooth finish doing it wet. Also consider the times when a normal sander won’t reach or don’t really work well. I usually wet-sand radiators before I paint them to give them a key and a clean up - some of those would be difficult with a dust-free pad.

(Holty) #5

That’s a good point. Would you use a wet & dry sponge/pad for this and if so is there a particular type or brand you would recommend?

(darlic) #6

Hi if your worried about dust, what you could do is hold a vacuum hose near where your hand sanding.For wet and dry use a block and water spray bottle, with a drop off fairy, but if you really want to up your game, you could by a hand mirka,and attach to henrey ,you will never look back.

(Holty) #7

Hello Jason,
I have the Mirka hand sander and a festool now but was curious about sanding wet as I’ve never done it or seen anyone else do it.
Thanks.

(Andy Crichton) #8

@greenpainting good info.

To add that Mirka spent a lot of years moving the auto trade away from wet n dry. In a straight “abrasive” comparison where you can use a dustless sanding device, there is no advantage of wet over dustless in terms of finish. The grades are equally coarse to super fine, and finishes of the highest order can be achieved. Mechanical sanding should be faster and less fatiguing than manual sanding.

If you can’t get a dustless set up to suit the profile or surface you are tackling, and you can’t afford to create dust, the old fashioned wet n dry is still your friend.

This is a tip on sanding profiles and sanding sponges http://traditionalpainter.com/wet-sanding-sponge-for-mouldings-on-kitchen-doors