TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Which brush for laying off roller stipple?

(Puma) #1

Someone mentioned Royal Langnickel and with a name like that they must have something going for them… good or bad. I found these on there site:

http://artuk.royalbrushstore.com/c/brushes_by-shape_large-area_l279-brown-large-area

Which look fine. Better in fact than the Hamilton laying off brush I only bought last week :expressionless:

Any favourites?

(wrenbird) #2

I found these on Amazon:

Worked OK for me

(dave D9 decor) #3

agreed - superb finishing - for acrylics - and only £2.99 for set of three at The Range store. In their arts dept. They do a nice set of fitches too.

(Andy Crichton) #4

[quote]Quote from Puma on December 3, 2013, 21:27

…look fine. Better in fact than the Hamilton laying off brush I only bought last week :expressionless:

Any favourites?[/quote]

Whats the deal with the Hamiltons layer off-er? I saw some glowing praise last week, is it all about the paint it is used in?

The Wooster Flawless is specifically for laying off, and the spec to me reads “for boat painters for flawless varnishing and oils”. Lee up in Yorkshire has had one for a while. He kicked off with tipping off Dulux oil eggshell and it clogged easily and it tested even his light arty touch and loads of cleaning rag to get a good finish. But in varnish, it worked flawlessly and came out as it said on the tin.

There is the Langnickel you mention, I saw also Axus were selling an equivalent at the show, not heard reports back from that.

(Puma) #5

Well I assumed you would have all the info on this Andy! I tried the Hamilton for the first time today and it was actually excellent, I assumed it wasn’t good because it was not mentioned here. I was a bit worried that the bristles would finger but they held together perfectly. The tips are extremely fine, the base of the bristles firm. I cannot really see on reflection any brush being much better than this for the job. It was a noticeable speed increase on using a normal brush for this job, and, as it was so light and sharp tipped, the control and finish is significantly better than a normal brush. It was all pluses as far as I can see.

I used the four inch btw.

(Andy Crichton) #6

[quote]Quote from Puma on December 5, 2013, 20:28
Well I assumed you would have all the info on this Andy! [/quote]

We all have knowledge gaps mate :slight_smile:

Sounds like Hamiltons have a brush at last.

(Gavin) #7

Hi all. Has anyone got any tips for using the Langnickels? My first attempt (using F&B exterior eggshell) resulted in the fibres clumping as soon as the brush was at all damp or had picked up paint (if dry it dragged). I haven’t yet tried the garden sprayer - is that the only option? Cheers, Gavin

(Martin Guest) #8

Hey Gavin,

I think that the Langnickel “laying off” brush is a little dynamo!.. as with any other laying off brushes, I always prescribe from them to be kept clean and dry if being used in waterborne, in oils they seem to like to be a little damper - you can actually also you them as a neat detail brush!.. but, I can honestly say that I haven’t personally come across the issue that you have mentioned.

As for the garden sprayer, I really don’t think that will help you out - yes, it puts a fine mist all over the surface and will aid flow - but I have found it difficult to find the “right” sprayer that doesn’t spit droplets of water!? I know Mark Nash loves them and uses them to great effect!

You could try moistening the filaments before the initial pass!?!?

(Gavin) #9

Thanks Martin. I guess I’ll have to try again. I tried using the brush with both moist and dry filaments, and they still clumped and/or dragged, hence the head-scratching. The brush also shed a few fibres, which made me wonder for a moment whether (is this possible?) they might not be genuine Langnickels (I bought them on eBay). Thanks again for taking the time to reply. Cheers, Gavin

(Martin Guest) #10

No probs Gavin - I buy mine from the Range; http://www.therange.co.uk/royal-brush-12pc-gold-taklon-lrg-area-brush-box-set/arts-&-crafts/the-range/fcp-product/58648 cheap as chips!

Good luck.

(greenpainting) #11

Just a thought Gavin, F&B exterior eggshell does skin over pretty quick especially when you are working with a bit of a breeze. So unless you put paint on with one hand and lay it off with the other straight away you might find the surface has already skinned enough to clog the brush.

I will stand corrected if necessary but I think laying off brushes are more effective in oils when you have a lot more time to work the paint.

I’ve been using a fair bit of F&B exterior recently and I’ve found that if you get a good coat on and and don’t mess about with it you will find it levels out nicely. Load up, get it on the wood, spread it once and lay it quick then leave it. Leave the laying off brush in the box.

(Andy Crichton) #12

You are right in that the consistency of the paint plays a role in the finish…

A hanging door, Mark shows one aspect to help fast drying waterborne Tikkurila Feelings paint to flow out level - leave it as level as possible with a fine laying off brush. The paint does the rest to help.

Laying off different paints will give differing results. F&B eggshell paint may help by levelling out well, other paints may not level so well, and you need to find an approach to make the paint lie as flat as possible.

Other tweaks to consider giving paint more open time, to level out, are

• the consistency of the paint (water should be first thought in waterborne paint; conditioners, but not OK in all paint);

• Mark’s faint spray on the surface

• wipe surface with a damp sponge

Be open to what works for you and adapt to the different paint out there.

To go the extra lay off or not to lay off, that is the question!