TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Adding Owatrol to Exterior Wood Stain

Has anyone tried adding Owatrol oil to exterior wood stain, in my case Sadolin Extra Durable Woodstain? If it ever stops raining for a day I’d like to finish the front door and wondered if it will help stop the stain dragging in the colder temperatures that accompany a clear day this time of year.

It’s not a woodstain I have used with owatrol, painting outsides used to be a job for for when it isn’t too cold… Owatrol has no negative impact on oil based paints, but as you say it does improve flow. Floetrol is similar for waterbased paints.

The Flow Control kettle if you can get one is the optimum additive-free answer.

1 Like

HI, why not put tin in a bucket of hot water?just an idear

That’s what I normally do. I could not justify the expense of the Go! Paint Flow Control Kettle even if I could find one. I’m going to try a hot hands hand warmer in between the plastic kettle the metal outer of the Go Paint Paint & Go, they’ve been in the drawer for years so maybe it’s time to give them something to do.
If it’s dry on Monday I’ll give it a go and keep you informed.

Yesterday was fine but cold so I finally got a coat of Sadolin Extra Durable on the door and the frame work coated with Dulux Weathershield Quick Dry. As the Sadolin takes longer to dry being solvent based I did that first adding some Owatrol into it and also trying a warm feet foot warmer pad in between the plastic kettle and the metal kettle. The warming pad was a waste of time it was stone cold after the 45 mins it took me. The flow was quite reasonable with the Owatrol added.
I had taken the Stormguard draft fittings off the frame to prevent them sticking to the newly coated door, wedged the door slightly adjar and then draped a dust sheet over the inside of the door to reduced the drafts.
I warmed the plastic kettle with the Dulux in it in the sink with some hot water for 10mins and this helped reduce the viscosity.
Painting the frame was quick and easy but as I was patting myself on the back I noticed tiny splatter marks from the brush had gone on the door! I managed to remove nearly all of them with a wet rag and then I had to get the Sadolin and brush back out to touch up.
At around 3pm I decided that it wasn’t going to dry any more so I tried a hair dryer on a small section of the touched up area but it didn’t make any difference so I closed the door and called it a day. Opening it this morning thankfully reveals no issues.
What governs the drying time of solvent paints, is it purely temperature? If so would a thermostatically controlled hot air gun be quicker than a hair dryer?
Next spring/summer I think that I may try and find an old door so that I can fit it temporarily whilst I strip this one down and re-coat it indoors without having to be concerned about drying time.

1 Like

HI, you can get liquid dries to speed up the drying time,for colder conditions I wouldn’t be doing exterior anytime after sept, unless it was good environmental conditions. For drying varnishs,dry by the evaporation of the solvant.For oil oxygen reacts, with the oil and makes paint harden.No i wouldn’t recommend using heat guns. Hope that helps.

2 Likes

From college days, spirit varnishes dry by evaporation, oil by oxidation, and emulsions by coalescence. Funny how stuff sticks in the head for decades.

Yes it’s all in there, the secret is to bring it out when you need it! Usually you can remember all sorts of things but not what you want at the time.