TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Best Finish For a Walnut Floor?

Afternoon all.

Been spending the last year stripping & refinishing American Oak flooring in lounge and hall with Osmo Raw and whilst murderous hard work, has come out a treat.

But now I have a bathroom floor that I need strip & refinish but it’s very dark solid hard wood. Skirtings also and door.

It’s in great physical condition, no scratches, dents etc.

Last time (maybe 12 years back) I hand sanded and just put a ploy varnish on it (several coats) … very basic Ronseal stuff. Surprisingly it looks ok and has held up well but it’s way to high gloss and I think I can do better having done the other floors.

That said, I don’t know best way to go? … stripping no problem but the Osmo Raw would not work on it.

I think an oiled finish would look good or a mid satin sheen.

Wandering if anyone had any recommendations or ideas that could achieve that? Love Osmo and happy to stick with that but for some reason I have a feeling oils might be way to go?

Anyway advise and experiences would be very welcome as always.

All the best

mylands mylac various finishes available

https://www.mylands.com/trade-wood-finishes/flooring-products/mylac-water-based-flooring-lacquer

1 Like

Hi tehomas, looks very interesting … taking a read right now.

Never heard of this one but then then again my shop list was limited to Dulux, Polyfiller and Ronseal until about three years back :slight_smile:

Is wonderful when the blinkers come off and you see the light with new quality products. Many thanks for taking the time to let me know about this. AH64

no problem they are a great company with tons of heritage in the stains and oil world not to mention there paints

Have to confess to being totally won over by Osmo Polyx on the light oak in it’s matt format.

Strange when you find something that works so well it’s a bit of a toe curl to step out of the comfort zone but the pedigree of the Mylands stuff you can see from the web site for sure.

Will let you know how I get on … probably next month when start. But thanks again for the steer

the osmo is a great product as well . takes too long to dry for me personally

remember if you dont jump.the parachute wont open lol

1 Like

Ahh but for us toe dippers that is not such a bad thing. If I were doing it to make a living (which with our family I increasingly think I am … just without the pay element!) then I would probably take a different view…

Yes have to say I am very much an Osmo fan … it’s not let me down once to date but precisely as you say about the parachute … like the analogy … thanks tehomas