TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Caparol NAST; first impression

As before, I start by stating I am new to XVLP and spraying in general. This review is about my first use of Caparol NAST paint designed to work with XVLP machines. I imagine it would also work with HVLP, but I cannot be 100% on that. The definition of NAST is basically mist free, which keeps masking to a minimum. It is the primary reason I chose the Wagner 5000 XVLP.

I bought the Haftprimer NAST and PU Satin NAST from Paintshack, the guys there are supportive and very generous with their time and advice. Steve has been advising me on settings, drying times, amongst other things.

• There is a normal version of these paints for brush or roller.

First, I had a lot of rails, spindles and skirting boards to paint. I had sanded and cleaned them, so masking was next. I used a mixture of film and paper; both were pre-taped. One little tip when using this masking medium; use tape around your area first, I prefer 3M. It is easier to apply tape, then apply the film or paper on top. Yes, you are masking twice, but it is much faster this way because getting the paper around internal and external corners can be fiddly. It is my preference and only a suggestion. I have always done this when protecting delicate areas in buildings and find I achieve better coverage in less time.

The paint is thinner than usual, compared to Helmi it is water-like. That is not a criticism just an observation. Mist-free spraying clearly requires lighter paint. The odour is very low, I was pleased by this. It is water-based too, which I really like because cleaning is very easy.

On the first attempt, I set the product flow at four and the air at two. I did adjust up and down on those settings. I had a quick chat with Steve at Paintshack, and he said I was erring on the cautious side. The resulting finish was acceptable, but it did take more time than I envisaged. He said eight on both was his starting point!

Caparol state approx. Twelve hours drying time and when I first read that, I was not happy. Once again, Steve said the manufacturer is super cautious and 4-6 hours was more like the actual time. My first use confirms Steve’s advice; it was touch dry within 1.5 hours and fully dry in 4 hours.

Overspray is minimal, and I saw almost zero mist. I believe with more practise; I can reduce overspray further. The appearance of the paint is good; I was pleased with my first attempt.

Today, I changed the settings to seven on both product flow and air. I sprayed the second coat in far less time, and the result was better too. Steve says spraying with NAST requires a bit speed and the correct distance, and he isn’t wrong. With the setting on seven, I found myself moving more freely and creating a smoother movement with the gun.

I am excited by this paint and can see me using it an awful lot in the future.

1 Like

What other paints have you sprayed?bulleye 123,and perma white are niice to spray,as well thanks for the info.

I have sprayed the Zinnserr paints you listed; they are okay but need some dilution. I have also sprayed Tikkurila Optiva, Finngard and Valtti Colour Extra. The latter was on a fence.

The Caparol NAST is ready to go after stirring, no dilution required.

1 Like