TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Engineering Brain That Hasn't Retired

I’ve been decorating the bedroom and decided to use the Efurt Wallrock Fibreliner Smooth paper on the walls as I was pleased with it on the hall stairs and landing project not so long ago.
During that project I got fed up picking up the roll of paper measuring cutting it and then putting down again that my engineering brain kicked in and came up with this from an old piece of soil pipe that everyone has laying around.

I simply screwed it to the underside of the pasting table but need to modify it slightly as the double rolls can catch the screw heads when the roll is new. The ghetto solution to the roll disappearing sideways out of the end of the tube was to put masking tape across the end with the centre section back to back to prevent the roll from sticking to it.
Hope this proves useful for someone.
One thing that my brain hasn’t solved yet is how you paper around external corners that have wooden beading without creating bubbles? I’m sure the problem is that the wooden beading is not truly vertical (and maybe neither is the paper at that point) nor are the walls perfectly aligned to one another and further more the radius of the wood is not constant (this would never happen in engineering jobs!) so as the paper bends around it it cannot lay flat. Who has the answer?
The internal corners are not so much of a problem because I can overlap the next length and then cut through to create a neat joint or at least one that can be filled to create one. I don’t think that this can be done on the external corners because the beading has an undercut between it and the plaster - hope this makes sense.

1 Like

Pretty good.

If you want to go Rolls Royce check out this solution from Tapofix

I’m not an engineer but maybe don’t try to paper them, turn them into a painted architectural feature if you can. If the beads are beat up try some layers of thin filler sanded down to a smooth finish…

Holy Smoke that’s about as expensive as HiFi!