TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Lessons learned

[quote]Quote from Andy Crichton on February 9, 2014, 21:39
I’m no chemist, and not advocating it as general practice, but a drop of Fairy in acrylic paint seems to overcome cissing if applying acrylic over a cissy surface - dont know why it works, but no denying it has a tiny place in the armoury if you are in a bind. I can;t paint fast enough to create a froth.

[/quote]

Just a thought but I think washing up liquid breaks the surface tension. So where the paint might pull back from the surface it can’t. Not sure how to explain that more scientifically but it makes sense in my head :slight_smile:

If I am right this might be a temporary fix because in theory, although the paint is flowing better, if it is flowing over a surface with polish or wax it means that particular section has a coat of paint that hasn’t adhered to the surface but is supported by the paint around it. In time it might lift or split.

It is weird science! Experience says it isn’t a temporary solution, but it is a very rare one. Back to basics everyone.

Darlic, you need to get a solid dust extraction set up, you will save yourself a lot of time and effort and stress. Overboots sound a nice touch.

1 Like

Maybe best kept as a solution to problems at home and not on paid jobs :slight_smile:

it is an old pros trick, but yes, I agree this knowledge should be kept in the cupboard under the stairs. Oh dear, we do have a secret!

1 Like

Boy this weekend has been a tough one but enjoyable,this post should be lessons learned,and not learned,i was sold some 3m delicate painters masking tape,when i put on the wall,the tape kept falling down why?i used a brush and fingers to make sure it stuck,but it was hopeless,the paint was feelings,let it dry couple off hours that was why i used this stuff nothing with two much adhesion,in the end,found a slightly wet brush helped then got the caulk went straight down the edge off the tape,anyone got any solutions,next thing i was impressed with feelings but it dried really quickly never had my wipes to wipe off when got a few bits on woodwork,but used a sponge that wasn’t as good,never realized how important them wonder wipes can be,as for the paint mixed with flotrol you just up your game overnight,love it,as for the scrim got that perfect thanks andy your teaching is working,around the window i noticed the silcone the paint slightly crazed whats the solution?also i made mistake off using blue tape around by sealent instead off low tack and it took the silcone off in small areas i patched with decorators caulk?whats the best tape for different areas?As for the rest the preparation was all worth it a enjoyable exercise with a few good lessons,and last but least before i use my rollers brushes,for waterbase paints i give a quick spray from handspray with water just seems to get them perfect for use.

Well used touprett grass a lacquer,this has been a lesson and a half put onto thick,had to strip all off it off with a scrapper and undercoat it again,second time around i found a plastic card useful when skimming over,also stepped back got some off the filler,on path,next time,i will use plastic slippers,then take them off when i walk on path,now got to remove that but have a few idears as well as what has been recommended,will let everyone no what worked best.The other big lesson buying a hand mirka i feel my game has up-ted overnight,feel like i was so amateurish,cleaning up dust all the time,really looking forward to my mirka ceros,or festoon its going to be one or the other.

Just seen something finish wise I can’t quite understand but will try to explain:

On top of solid well prepared & 240 sanded gloss I applied:

1 x Cover Stain
1 x Rubbol+
2 x Spachtel + sanded thoroughly with 240
cleaned & dried
1 x XD gloss black

Overall is OK but there are tiny white pin holes, like tiny puddles through the black to the white…very small & not such a concern as need to re-sand & coat at least one more time but curious what it might be?

Was a lot of sanding & dust and was wiped down with water & cloth and left overnight before XD cost. But thinking it might be residue of sanded dust from behind the gutter?

Any ideas what it might be? Will be cleaning more carefully this time but other than the possibily of dust not sure why it occurred.

Was the door varnish,could be polish,as for sanding you want to invest in the mirka hand kit,that will reduce the dust considerably,attach it to a hoover,i cant wait until i get my ceros,its a different world.If it was dust i have just started my door i wet the path and garden that helps a lot,the axus tag rags are worth there money,and a good dusting brush to get into the corners,make sure you wipe the tag rags over the whole door even along the top edge,be picky.

The cloth you were cleaning off with - was it a new cloth or had it perhaps been used for polish before? Any of that left on the cloth might have stayed on the surface and would cause problems. You need to get rid of that before you put another coat on.

[quote]Quote from darlic on May 26, 2014, 14:30
Was the door varnish,could be polish,as for sanding you want to invest in the mirka hand kit,that will reduce the dust considerably,attach it to a hoover,i cant wait until i get my ceros,its a different world.If it was dust i have just started my door i wet the path and garden that helps a lot,the axus tag rags are worth there money,and a good dusting brush to get into the corners,make sure you wipe the tag rags over the whole door even along the top edge,be picky.[/quote]

Hi there, sounds good advice. No no varnish just gloss and I can vouch for previous layers & base build but yes I need get a hoover of some sort I think. And yes also think I might try out some tag rag, never tried those, well on car body stuff yes but not house painting. Thanks for the advice

[quote]Quote from greenpainting on May 26, 2014, 14:47
The cloth you were cleaning off with - was it a new cloth or had it perhaps been used for polish before? Any of that left on the cloth might have stayed on the surface and would cause problems. You need to get rid of that before you put another coat on.[/quote]

Ouch yes, no polish I don’t think but it was pretty well straight out the kitchen sink the day before! Maybe not such a good idea thinking on. Could be anything from washing liquid to stainless steel cleaner etc etc

It’s dried a little better than it looked when applied but for sure I’ll give it a good sand back which I hope shifts it.

Just goes to show, the right kit and approach saves time and frustration. Thanks for taking the time with the advice.

I wouldn’t be using cloths out off kitchen sink,get yourself some lint free cloths,with white sprit,if you don’t like axus tag rags,i take it you stripped the door back?For future work on doors that just need a light sand take a look at krudcutter gloss off,avoids dust and great stuff to work with,use a lint free cloth then wipe off with clean cloth,then i use a axus tag rag when dry and give it a good wipe over,happy decorating,keep pressing on.

I agree with that - except for the white spirit. No need for that these days - nasty stuff!

[quote]Quote from greenpainting on May 27, 2014, 10:12
I agree with that - except for the white spirit. No need for that these days - nasty stuff![/quote]

Meths is a better cleaner than white spirit for final wipe overs. 8O Absolutely not great though.

I did keep track of white spirit usage for a year, with oil painted kitchens, and it was no more than a litre. Owatrol was the “thinner” of choice. By keeping the brushes in a brushmate, and colour changes are not to much of an issue with kitchens with the popularity of a close range of colours, I would tend to scrape as much paint out, daub and clean off on lining paper and then work through the undercoats, by which time the brush would be set nicely for topcoats.

That approach is better than usual conventional gallons of white spirit of old. If you assume you cant eradicate all oil paint usage at this time (some problems still don;t have a bomb-proof waterborne solution and even in USA, oil is still used, albeit not a lot compared to mass consumption) , there are improvements to be made on the above -

eg the Store and Go gel is a much better option than the carenogenic fumey Brushmate, and brush disposal rather than cleaning would reduce that litre of spirit even further.

Its not an eco audit thread, so discussions about the eco potential are running elsewhere, just outlining the ways to be “eco” as we still try bridge the gap to a perfect paint world of non petro bomb-proof products.

[quote]Quote from darlic on May 26, 2014, 20:46
I wouldn’t be using cloths out off kitchen sink,get yourself some lint free cloths,with white sprit,if you don’t like axus tag rags,i take it you stripped the door back?For future work on doors that just need a light sand take a look at krudcutter gloss off,avoids dust and great stuff to work with,use a lint free cloth then wipe off with clean cloth,then i use a axus tag rag when dry and give it a good wipe over,happy decorating,keep pressing on.[/quote]

…Argh… :slight_smile: since visiting this site I’ve hardly been to Bee&Que…so many new products, our postman hates me…but does like me paintwork :slight_smile:

Ok so Krudcutter is a good alternative on decent solid glosswork? Yes I had been sanding this before Cover Stain & Rubbol.

What’s that…the sound of an order for Krudcutter and tag rags being placed! … is a whole new world this. Many thanks for the advice, yes it would have been a wipe with white spirit and an old cloth but not anymore.

Practicing with all this new stuff on side elevation of house with pretty good results. But the time I get the the top front I should have this cracked. Appreciate the advice again.

[quote]Quote from Amateurhour64 on May 27, 2014, 16:03

Ok so Krudcutter is a good alternative on decent solid glosswork? Yes I had been sanding this before Cover Stain & Rubbol.

[/quote]

The Gloss Off, or Owatrol ESP will remove the sheen of a gloss painted surface or provide a key on factory primed doors, or on laminate, or lacquered spindles… so very useful to prepare a surface that is near perfect and shiny.

Still have to get your sander going to remove nibs and imperfections in old paint, though.

Ahh ok, yeah well I have grown rather attached to my new sanding friend :slight_smile:

Have just had a quick look at suppliers for the Gloss off product but struggling to find one less than 4000 miles east of Shropshire.

Interested in sources for either the Gloss Off or the ESP.

Thanks again

Not far from Shropshire, in a land far from far away

Gloss Off 1 litre

Gloss Off 3.8 litres

ESP

MyPaintBrush and Owatrol are Trade Corner associates

I will be leaving the solvents to you Andy. If a job can’t be done with w/b I won’t take it on. If it loses me a bit of work then so be it. Someone else is welcome to it :slight_smile:

Greenpaint what are the best waterbased paints you using at the moment,any recommendations appreciated,have you tried johnsons aqua gloss,need to get an armour off good quality water-based paints have you tryed eico alterior gloss,got this the other day just waiting to get a chance to put it to the test.