TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Orange peel on previously painted walls

Hi to all

I am loving my Deros with ACE abranet!! :grinning:

I am slowly sanding the walls in my bathroom with a mixture of 60 and 80 Grit. I thought they would be a bit heavy but they’re doing the job. There is bad orange peel on all 3 walls (other wall is tiled) and you can see that from the picture.

I am assuming there is nothing I can do and must keep sanding until it is flat? I have Zinsser Perma-White (tinted silk grey by Rawlins) for the walls.

Thanks in advance

Dave

If the orange peel is so raised that it just won’t sand back, then it might be worth considering skimming over with say Toupret Skim or PlaneoG, but thats quite a bit extra to do, so hopefully the Deros will sort it!

Hi Dave

It is sanding back but it is proving harder work than I anticipated. No bother though, I am not on a deadline.

Thanks

Dave

Have you tried a finer grade when sanding, you might be surprised at say 120, finer can be faster, more teeth!

2 Likes

I did use 120 in other areas and it was fine, better even! Sadly some areas are proving more stubborn so I need a more aggressive approach. I think it is a result of poor preparation and painting prior to us owning this house.

1 Like

The project is coming together nicely, I devised a square system on the walls and marked them for quick reference. 1-5 with 1 being easier and 5 being stubborn. My health allows me to work in short periods but I am enjoying it. The wall is smooth now but there are areas where patches show and I am worried them grinning through when I finally paint them.

I am using Zinsser Perma-white tinted silver grey but I am wondering if there a need to use a primer beneath it? I know it is self priming but it’s expensive and I am thinking about coverage.

Thanks

1 Like

Do you mean patches of different colour or patches of different texture? If different texture, straight painting will likely emphasise those patches.

Hi Andy

Different colours but smooth enough. I have some areas of poor plaster showing through but I will skim/fill those with Toupret TX110

Dave

Hi Guys

I am in a quandary and I would appreciate some advice please. I am now 99% through the sanding but there is an area where the paint layers (2-3) started to peel away. It was an area that had previously bubbled in a small patch for no apparent reason. When I peeled it off I could see some newer plaster underneath. I can only assume there was something in that plaster mix causing an issue.

As I progressed the area became larger and you can see from the photo the overall size. That is a standard flush box below it.

Do I fill it or should I use a filler paint, perhaps aerosol? I have Toupret TX110 but am yet to use it. After all my hard work I don’t want to spoil this bit!

Thanks

Dave

Hi

I am wondering which roller to use for painting these walls? I have sanded, filled, sanded, filled and the surface is now smooth and ready to paint. I want to get a flat finish using Perma-White so should I consider a microfibre roller sleeve or will a 1/2" nap Purdy be okay?

Thanks

Dave

Wooster pro dooze,and if you do a lot off painting there’s a write up on here about them buy the kit recommended and you never look back.cheers

Smooth finish is a function of the roller sleeve and the paint consistency. To cover your bases, do a test area with your proposed sleeve, and see how that works for you. You will see quickly what the effect is going to be and adjust accordingly.

For instance a super short pile micro plush sleeve will contribute the least to orange peel effect, but will be the slowest for application. On a small / one off room, the speed difference is not really relevant. On Jack Paul site he explained how he applied with a long pile sleeve for speed and a colleague followed behind laying it off with a short pile. Plenty of variables to try.

2 Likes

Andy

I have just finished performing a test exactly as you suggested Andy! The Purdy 1/2" is not suitable for what I want but I can lay off using a microfibre short pile roller. I had to use a mini version which is for my woodwork but it gives the desired finish.

The Wooster Pro doo-z looks good, any other recommendations?

Dave

Alternatively, you could lay off with a 180mm Spalter brush!?!?!?

http://www.nonpaintstore.nl/en/gereedschap/brushes/platte-kwasten/omega-0463-spalter-red-silk-met-inox-bus.html

1 Like

I was looking at laying off brushes after Martin’s recommendation. I read about the Wooster Flawless but boy what a cost at £20. How do the Fox Light and Premium perform? I have heard good things about Fox brushes.

What do you recommend?

Cheers

Dave

Dave, the vast majority of laying off brushes currently available on the UK Market are really intended for use on trim and “smaller” areas; doors etc. The reason that I included the link on my previous message was that the Spalter brush is a whopping 180mm and could handle walls and ceilings with ease… the Fox and the Hamilton range doesn’t compete with this size, currently - although, if there was enough interest, I’d be happy at looking a larger Fox version??? just don’t hold your breath.

2 Likes

I have used an Arroworthy 9" sleeve with a 1/4" pile. It has given me a good finish, one that I am more than happy with.

1 Like