TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Preparation and paint for mould and mildew surfaces

I have problem with a room i am decorating it has mould mildew,i used chemical designed to prepare surface left it on 20 minutes,done it twice,made a difference but never got rid off it,once dried off i spot primed with bullseye which covered well,then paint whole wall with bullseye give it nice finish,can anyone recommend a good product to remove mould mildew,and best procedure thanks guys :frowning: :?

Hi Jason, check out this post from a previous thread.

Kill the spores - if you followed the instructions with the product you chose that should be fine (What was the product?) and then coat with an appropriate paint - more than a matt sheen and additives that resist further mildew growth. A suitable Zinsser product would be PermaWhite.

Another mistake,used ever build fungerside wash then once dry bulls eye 123,another lesson learned i think andy i will give up instead write book of decorating mistakes.

Just out of interest, why was that a mistake?

A shortcoming in Bullseye 123, it does not have the fungicidal properties of Permawhite

So if Darlic had put Permawhite on top, he wouldn’t have had a problem?

Perms white is a more appropriate choice to cover all bases. If he has dealt with the original issue he hasn’t got a problem. Mould and water are cleverer than us so improve your odds where you can :slight_smile:

Is it worthwhile or necessary to cover a bare surface that’s been treated for mould with Coverstain before using Permawhite do you think?

[quote]Quote from DavidJ on April 26, 2014, 20:21
Is it worthwhile or necessary to cover a bare surface that’s been treated for mould with Coverstain before using Permawhite do you think?[/quote]

Perma White is self priming. That doesnt mean it will necessarily give you the finish / build up you want in every case, but I would think you will be fine here following the conventional spec.

I was kind of thinking about build-up in speccing it! It’s that customer’s shed I have that other post about. It’s kind of driving me nuts tbh. Partly because the Perma-White only comes in 4 or 10 litre cans. 4 might be just enough for two coats, if I used a primer, which is why I was thinking CoverStain. Now you’ve got me thinking, should I forget the CoverStain, get the 10 litres and use it for three coats on the walls and one on the floor before Bedec Floor Paint?

I am overthinking it, I know, but I just want to get it right.

I used perma white on inside exterior door,washed the door over with a fungicidal wash,then applied perma white,covers really well,but Andy your right as build up,i might have been better applying two coats off undercoat then the perma white.

What’s the Perma white like to put on?

Very easy,this is reference for all decorators zinsser do a booklet,on how to solve problems on different surfaces with there products check it out ,happy decorating keep pressing on.

HI folks has anyone heard of Faren muffycid ?ment to be exellent at removing mould and mildew.cheers

Used today and very impressed .

Yo
The best stuff I’ve seen & used for mould is dairy farm hypoclorite.its £14 for 20 Lt drum dilute about 5- 1 with water & put in spray bottle or pressure sprayer. Spray on surface & leave for an hour &rinse. No more mould or green alge its amazing. Paint walls & ceilings with warmcoat insulating paint another brilliant product

1 Like

Will order doses it remove staining as well some fungerside just kill it but leave staining?cheers

Where do you buy from.cheers

I get it from a local farm suppliers. I’ve also seen it in builders merchants. We,r kinda classed as rural here in Northern Ireland. Yes it also kills the stains, it leaves concrete like new & will kill the red staining mould you get on exterior walls in more rural areas.if I can work out how to do it I’ll post some photos

1 Like