TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Priming external wood but delay gloss a year. Good idea?

Afternoon all,

Renovating an old conservatory. The inside progressing well but think we will run out of time for the outside this year.

My question is, if we got to prime the outside and left it until the 2020 decorating season, would this create any problem? Or require a re-prime next year (not necessarily a problem) or would the primer still be good to go?

If we can drop a coat of Rubbol on and come back to it next year without any detriment to the wood then that would be ideal.

Just to note the conservatory is soft wood, maybe 20 years old, no real rot maybe a small amount of stretch and crack here and there. And has only ever been treated with cheap brush on wood treatments.

Thanks in advance

Primer is going to be a much better option than leaving it bare.

On a side note, from my experience in the wooden boat world, fresh water is the wooden boat killer if not held in check, not seawater. The paint of choice below decks was a couple of coats of white lead primer, good for decades of swilling water.

1 Like

Thanks for the steer Andy … in fairness it’s not bare, it’s got maybe 3 half assed coats of a brown preserver / stain … one of the Ronseal off the shelf products over the past 20 odd years. It looks very ‘meh’ but has held well over the years .

So it’s not actually bare as such but I thought a quick coat of the Zinseer BIN or similar would at least buy me some time to be able to fill over, sand and do some good gloss work.

And would the primer actually still hold as a primer if I were to leave it till say May next year? Or better re-visit with an extra coat?

Gotcha. I wouldn’t advise BIN on exteriors for general coating as it is too brittle. Look at Coverstain, seems more appropriate.

CS has a sheen (oily formula) so would likely stand up OK to some weather in the short term, compared to a more chalky obliterating primer or oil undercoat. Check it for failures when you come to paint it all next year, make sure it is all well dry and touch up accordingly. Sounds like you have more months of fun painting to get stuck into :grinning:. If it has got any failures, you might want to use Owatrol to drive out any potential damp.

1 Like

Cheers Andy … no problem, a good excuse to use and learn about a new product. Coverstain it is … order going in.

The reality is not that I can’t get it finished but pressure building to start on a bedroom renovation at home! Diplomacy means a delay to conservatory until next year I think. The Coverstain is my Parliamentary block to the PM! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the advice Andy, let you know how I get on with it.

1 Like

Actually having looked and ordered the Coverstain I remember now this being the stuff I used when I did the external renovation a few years back … I remember the tin now! Was great stuff to work with. Think I get confused with the Zinseer stable! :slight_smile:

No disrespect to Andy, but I did an exterior job some time ago and in an effort to keep costs down I used Coverstain as a primer/undercoat, before going ahead with 2 coats of I think it was Dulux weathershield gloss. The surface began to fail inside 3 years, I checked over the job and concluded at the time that the Coverstain had caused the problems.
I haven’t used it since on any exteriors - too big a risk of premature failure. I don’t trust the oil based/2 hour recoat time and its ‘chalkiness’.I’m pretty sure it suffers from a lesser version of BIN sealers brittleness. Admittedly this was about 15 years ago, maybe they’ve changed its formulation.
If you haven’t already applied it, and you want to put something on before the weather turns, I’d recommend (after the usual prep) Rubbol Primer plus with 10-15% Owatrol Oil.

Hi Simon and thanks for the opinion and input.

Strange and interesting as I’m a fan of both Rubbol + and Coverstain!!! :slight_smile: … and in fairness had nothing but good experiences with both to date.

But I have the luxury as mentioned in an earlier post of having the time to prep in minute detail … the properties concerned being our own or close relatives or kids.

I used Coverstain to do our exterior maybe 4-5 years back. It was a 1920’s place in trad Home Counties bow windows style. Wood was rock solid, paint was also solid (probably lead based) but rough.

I sanded back to flat wood and Coverstained, Kodrined and sanded and reapplied and sanded and reapplied etc etc … then XD’d x 2 in white underside and black front facing timbers with light sand in-between. And bar a problem area on the front elevation Oak timbers it’s still “nearly” rock solid and suffered almost no yellowing or breakage to date.

The problematic Oak timbers I think I filled with some cheap rubbish years gone by. This next year think I need grind it out with a wire wheel and build up with something decent. … que for another post and question!!! :slight_smile:

But both have served well. That said have never used on a wood surface not kodrined in it’s entirety. RIP Kodrin … my first tin of Toupret just purchased :slight_smile:

I liked the application smoothness of the Coverstain. I have a can of Owatrol but not yet used it. Maybe time to give that a shot and form a valid comparison. I heard good things from the guys on TP about that.

But as you say, Rubbol is a super primer as well.

From my chair it’s fun to try the differing options. Again I guess if you doing it commercially you might form a quicker and stronger opinion

Cheers

No disrespect taken :grinning: No argument from me about your recommendation. Respect to you for having Coverstain in your armoury 15 years ago btw.

I remember painting a lot of furniture back in the 90’s where the designer specified Onol, which had us Gloucester “Permo” boys scrambling for data sheets. It was really solid kit. I used Rubbol oil primer on exterior doors in 2011, (Onol was phased out, renamed, rejigged in 2010?) and that time round I found it very slow drying, and assumed a Manchester summer (not a change in formula) will do that to an oil paint :laughing:

There have certainly been some paint reformulations over the years, at times it seemed like oil paints were deliberately retrograded, to push users over to waterborne. But it would be a bad day in painting if Sikkens and Rubbol were not a premium choice,