TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Sanding sealer

Ok does any one still use sanding sealer?

I used to use it but then I found with most bare timber that I applied wax or stain to I got a good result without it.

Now my workshop is up and running, sort of, I have been playing around with finishes on different types of wood.

I have gone back to using sanding sealer on a couple of pine work tops that have been sanded back to within an inch of their lives. I must admit I have been well pleased with the final results and was wandering if any one still used it.

I managed to find an old bottle of sanding sealer in the back of the garage and I do remember my local DDC selling of there old stock a while back.

Teak and pine it might be the way forward or back in a more traditional sense.

Mart

Certainly I would with a stained product. Fillers, areas where glue has penetrated and rough areas soak in the stain at different rates, so in those products it’s pretty essential.

Sanding sealer also has the advantage that the surface will be all stain blocked should someone decide on future overpainting. Not that I would repaint anything you did Mart, cause it will be very nicely done.