TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Sanding!

(Andy Crichton) #21

Nothing ventured nothing gained :smile:

• As an overall idea of squiggle factor, you can buff painted surfaces to a mirror finish with increasingly fine grits of abrasive (and compound).

• Another factor is the orbit of your sander. Mirka offer 2.5mm 5mm and 8mm. The smaller the orbit the less aggressive and less swirly the result.

• granat may be quite aggressive compared to equivalent coarse Abranet?

Some variables there for you to balance out and master your sander!

(Holty) #22

Thanks Andy. Looks like more sanding practice for me!

(greenpainting) #23

I think it’s also worth bearing in mind you should let the sander do the work - if you put too much pressure on the sander it’s not able to do the job properly and you probably get more of the deeper marks that way. When you’re using heavy grits it’s usually because you want to take the old coating off but you need to be careful not to start eating into the bare wood.

The Festool is a great machine so you need to let it do the work for you - don’t force it. Temping as it is you will find by backing off with the pressure it will perform better and you won’t knacker yourself so fast :smile:

(5Bridge) #24

i have an RO90 - its good but i can’t get away with it really - yes its a beast BUT I’m not a massive fan . I have a RO150 which is brilliant. probably in that application id use the big sander then the small bits with the delta head on the RO90.

(Holty) #25

GP - The work I was doing was taking old varnish off and mug rings etc out of some hardwood work tops so had to go right down with the 80 grit. So, my next question is: what sequence of grits would you use to get the timber ready for varnish?
Lee_b - I watched a video of the 150 and it did appeal to me a lot. What do you mean by ‘you can’t get away with it’? And do you have an RTS as well and if so how does it fit in to your routine?

(5Bridge) #26

i mean its a two handed sander and in my opinion - is not balanced well so always fighting/adjusting to keep it on the sanding plane plus with it having a small surface area its so easy to catch an edge and mark the work surface.

i have an RTS150 yes, brilliant on large flat areas and about double the width of the RTS400 so i use one for volume and one for detail/tight areas.

(Holty) #27

You’re exactly right about the RO90. I think a swap is on the cards. Do you have a delta?