TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Sprayable Gras De Laquer type options?

Evening all.

A keen Spachtel user until Sikkens dropped it from their catalog and now fully converted to the Toupret equivalent and half way through doing a not insignificant conservatory.

Whilst doing it today with a huge amount of ledges, shoulders and glazing bars, I found myself wandering if there was a spray on equivalent? Sort of like the ‘high build’ spray on types used by the car bodywork guys.

Anyone know if that’s possible and if is as good as the Gras de Laquer? I’m getting way quicker and more productive at applying this now but interested if such a product does exist.

Cheers

1 Like

Check out this article, https://traditionalpainter.com/prestonett-gras-lacquer and read about Tekaloid. It is not sprayable, but brushable, so a step along the way.

1 Like

Interesting post, for top coat,i would be tempted if you want ultra high gloss finish,to use yacht enamel.

Actutally Andy, now you been kind enough to send that, I realise I have read it before. Great article and I will give that a go.

I’m 65% across the desert with this piece of work as it goes and into zen-like filling mode just now … so long as I can sustain that then all will be fine. But for another paint based finish I might just give that a crack.

Never used Tekaloid and good enough reason to give it a go.

To be honest Jason, I’ve got the top paint cracked over the last few years.

My approach is basically a copy of Andy’s article from a few years back.

I sand any rubbish off, tap any nails or such like down, smear a bit of Ronseal wood filler over, sand again, then two coats of Rubbol, then two coats Gras de Laquer then two coats XD. I’ve only ever done white and that’s near perfect even though I say so myself. Mind I’ve been shifting now to the Tikurilla products (thanks to recommendations from Howzz) and been starting to roll off and lay off which good success as well. Time consuming but I can do that.

I did use a yacht enamel for some decking work recently. it was accidently sourced but worked a treat from a protection POV I have to say.

Back again Andy … been looking for the Tekaloid product but not finding anything except enamels.

I think what the article is referring to is Tekaloid oil filler grey BC15 K93 but can not see anyone stocking or selling it anywere.

Is not one of those cool decorating products gone to the sky is it?

I agree that yacht enamel comes up great, and we assume it is the best paint you can get, being formulated for standing up to exterior wet/salt water/UV. It is absolutely what you want for a boat, but it is not necessarily the best product for a front door or house exterior. I don’t have any data on yacht enamel formulations, but I do know for instance, that exterior eggshell is much more flexible than interior eggshell. Also durability is aimed at withstanding wind and rain, not so much greasy fingers and hefty boots. Therefore, albeit without the science at my finger tips to back me up! I would assume that yacht enamel is great on a front door, but not necessarily better than quality house paint.

1 Like

Great reply Andy, as you no datasheets hold the key,epifanes yacht enamel, non yellowing,siliconized,alkyed resin,miniumal dirt adhesion and long lasting gloss,its also
suited for interiors of boat,and areas,where the boat could attract dirt,so if your painting, in an area like seafront, it would probably be a good choice.Iam going to post some photos,on sample pieces of wood to see,which produces the highest shine,and durabilty,will do a tape test coin test,and what will be the easiest to apply.

1 Like

Be interested see those Jason and which paints you use for each.

The dirt adhesion is interesting. My first experiment with oils and fillers was on the front of our place which borders a modest busy road … the dust it kicks up is surprising and the filled, sanded and oil top coats definitely help the dust and dirt not stick.

1 Like

Wow Andy, Tekaloid enamel takes me back to painting our 6 panel front door in the late 70’s with what I seem to think was Buckingham green and then in the late 80s with a very dark blue. The door was pine and knots were a problem even though I had applied patent knotting. The finish was outstanding both times but over the course of 10 years or so became sun bleached (when we used to have sun). The panels moved a bit and the paint didn’t react kindly to that at the joints.
I then had a change and got a Brasillian Mahogany 6 panel door with the panels embedded in mastic it’s still going strong after 30 years! It’s time to give it another coat of Sadolin or whatever is down in the cellar from last time.

Can find plenty of info on the enamel but not the brush on filler.

Anyone any ideas where I can find data and indeed but some? Cheers

Just completed three panels of a conservatory ultra flat and first coat gloss … looked like glass,… beautiful … and then the heavens opened up … looks like the surface of the moon. Argh.

Wine shop!!!

All part of your decorating training! I once painted the masonry on a building society, very pleased. An hour later I was sweeping the paint off the pavements in the pouring rain. Not embarrassing.

1 Like

check out this recipe highlighted by @teho Filling door mouldings

OK you got me beat! My embarrassment and frustration was limited to an audience of just moi.

Three days of sanding, Repair care, sanding, wood filling, sanding, two coats Rubol, sanding, two coats Gras, sanding, one coat XD and then shot blasted with an hours worth of early evening rain.

My weapon of defence? A bloody hair dryer for an hour … to zero avail!

Never happened before … going be a nightmare recover but hey ho … at least I’m in good company.

Maybe is a que for a thread “decorating disasters” … the evidence …

This has happened to me about 3 times in the last fortnight even when rain wasn’t forecast.
Thankfully I’ve been using quick drying paint (apart from the Sikkens Cetol HTS on the front door yesterday afternoon) so I haven’t had the spotting problem this time round but I do know the feeling.
Weather forecasting is the only job where you can be consistently wrong and not get the sack.

1 Like

Made me laugh John … first thing that has since that incident.

Three times would be therapy for me. Once left me scarred! And I’m not sure why (phycological or real) but the repair seems take ten times as long?

Is fixed now but has left me worried every time I lift a brush!!! Long looks at clouds :slight_smile:

Make that 4 times. This afternoon the chance of rain was less than 5% and the sun came out, right I’ll get another coat on the door, oh no it’s a bit late I’ll paint the trim as it’s quick drying paint. Kettle and brush in hand, the clouds appear, no I’ll take the threshold up instead. Scraped, sanded and re fitted it and got coat of Sikkens Cetol HLS on, time to wash the bike. Just finished rinsing the bike off and it started raining. Thankfully the threshold is virtually covered by the weather board on the door. If you know anyone who is praying for rain I’m their man, no divining stick just a paint brush and kettle!

1 Like

You sure you not related somewhere down the line? :slight_smile:

Today I had the same (bit melodramatic but sort of the same) … taped up a plastic run off on the conservatory roof some days back to enable some under the facia Toupret and gloss work to go ahead. Worked better than I dared hope in mixed weather.

BUT … left this “clever” little hook up in place. And today? Decent weather … a couple of hours with the Festool and hand sanding and some XD later … beautiful.

Then the wind lifts the plastic sheeting flicks it, and a shed load of water blows out of the folds! Arghhh.

Fortunately most flew forward and away but the residue splattered over the fresh gloss.

First coat as it goes and minor damage that a sand and 2nd coat will see the back of.