TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Stuck on specifying

I’m quoting a fairly large job and I’ve started to doubt myself!

14 windows and several doors and a set of large gates. Windows & rear doorare to be painted internal & external. Front door, garage doors and gates stained/lacquered. And a 14m run of fascia boards to be painted.

Windows first…
Home owner has informed me that the window exteriors have been previously painted with Dulux Weathershield (no idea if water or solvent based). The windows condition is ok, 2 or 3 upper level are showing signs of weather taking it’s toll, there are some signs of rot and minor repairs need to be done.

I’m currently majoring with Tikkurila and prefer to use waterbased where possible. Normally I would go with Valtti Opaque on externals and Everal Aqua on internals. I’m starting to think that maybe I should go with Everal Aqua external as well. Most of the windows are on the prevailing weather side and do get a battering, I think the enamel coating offered by Everal Aqua might hold up better?

Doors & gates…
Customer says Sikkens previously used, although no idea which one. Again I’m thinking maybe I would like to go with Tikkurila either Uncia Super or Valtti Colour Extra. On the door and side windows cills I will have to strip back because there is a fair bit of weather damage and I need to carry out repairs to the surface.

What are your thoughts?

TIA
Paul

If its helpful, I’ve used Teknos on exterior woodwork. Did some sash windows years ago, on a detached house with windows facing all directions and still looking good.

Teknos was another hybrid and worked well over both johnstones aqua undercoat and Teknos undercoat.

Currently using the unica on interior metal and wood work. Its ok but needing a solid undercoat under it, so 2 coats of undercoat and 2 coats of the unica so buy a decent amount. If thinning, its a bit of trial and error. I’ve added paint conditioner and white spirit. Not sure if I would use again.

Thanks Howzz give me extra ideas.