TP Home | About | Newsletter | Blogs |

Toupret Gras a Laquer and Sikkens AZ Plus

I spent a lot of time on this front door. Full description on my blog -

1 Like

Pure class that mate

1 Like

She,a beauty ,toupret gras a laquer ,doses work exceptionally well on black and reds.

1 Like

what did you clean brass with and how much owatrol did you add to paint?

1 Like

Do u prefer the az gloss to the xd ? Are they as shiny as each other

1 Like

I didn’t Jason, the customer did but I don’t know what they used.

I added 5% Owatrol.

1 Like

Hi Gary, a couple of people had said that they thought the XD was taking longer to dry so that’s why I went with the AZ.

Think the XD might have a slightly better gloss level but having said that the AZ still produced a fantastic mirror like finish.

I have never used the az that’s why I asked I have used the xd an it did take ages to dry I left it full 16 hours before closing and it still stuck . I must say I thought it was difficult to use. I waited 48 hours before second coat thinking it would flow on better an still struggled with it . And I’m sure it is not a better finish than the az . Well mine wasn’t :flushed:. Looks fantastic that door mate

1 Like

I made sure that the customer was going to be in all day. I was finishing a coat around 10/11am and they were leaving the door open until about 11pm and it was dry. No sticking to the frame.

I left 24 hours between coats. It sanded easily and the paint was a pleasure to use.

Thanks, I’m really chuffed with it myself. The customer was amazed at the transformation.

It’s pure class mate . Best I’ve seen to be honest . It’s hard to get customers who would pay for that kind of finish I find . I mean how did u price it . As in for the job or by the hour .? I mean I think summat that good is worth say £500 but would people pay that

I was doing all the exterior so it was easy to incorporate it into the overall job.

If I had another one on its own I’d just price it by the hour.

Very true . Looked at your blog and web site . Ur producing some really good work . If u don’t mind me asking how do you know how to do all Lincrusta? I’ve been decorating since 99 when I started my apprenticeship and I did level 3 nvq. And worked for myself since 2011 and I’d like to think I’m a good decorator and I really enjoy paper hanging but I would not feel confident in putting up Lincrusta as it was at college wen I last did it .

Not being funny it’s just you said u been decorating 6 years an that’s amazing work so that’s why was asking . U must just be a natural hahaha

I did the Lincrusta training course last year. That job on my blog is the first and only time I’ve been asked to hang Lincrusta so far.

I had to ring Andy Sarson (Mr Lincrusta) a couple of times for advice on that job but it turned out well. I learnt a lot doing it.

Never been one to shy away from having a go at things.

1 Like

That’s top mate . Where did you do your course . I’m based around Manchester and I’d love to do one . Looked really good . Although does seem a lot of faffin hahaha

I did the course at Accrington College.

1 Like

its a shiny beast looking forward to the next one.well done.

Thanks mark il look into that

How much did the course cost mark,

Hi folks other than doors what other areas have you found toupret gras laquer effective.In my experance it worked best
on black/red paints,but not so effective in white,but nice
smooth finish.I was thinking of trying on skirting boards,
smooth the top,with filler,then apply gras laquer,on side,
and then use a dark colour to achieve the glass effect.

1 Like